I made this baked apple oatmeal with pecans and raisins for Jim to try for breakfast. He LOVED it! In order to appreciate how good this recipe must be, you would have to know my husband. He is an egg lover and usually has some form every morning. During the busy spring, summer and fall seasons, he also has to eat on the road most mornings. He is used to a smorgasbord of choices in a deli or diner.
So while I thought he would probably eat it, I didn't know it would become a requested favorite that he has been eating almost every day for three weeks straight! Jim is already thinking ahead towards his upcoming busy schedule. He actually asked me to adapt it just a bit so he can eat it on the run, a bit more firm, more like a granola bar. Challenge accepted! I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it as well.
The ingredients in the Baked Apple Oatmeal with Pecans and Raisins are:
- Old fashioned rolled oats
- Baking powder
- Coconut sugar ( you can use brown sugar or a brown sugar substitute)
- Golden and/or black raisins
- Chopped pecans ( any other nut would be great)
- Milk ( you can try using non dairy as well)
- Apples ( I've used, Honeycrisp, Jazz and Envy)
- Pure vanilla extract
It looks kind of blah and beige, but looks are deceiving!
Jim heats the baked oatmeal in the microwave for a minute or so and adds milk. He does not have a sweet tooth and thinks it is sweet enough, but you can add more sweetener if you'd like. I think the recipe is so adaptable. With all the additions of different dried fruits and nuts, you can really change up the flavors. I hope you try this baked oatmeal and love it as much as he does!Print
A filling baked oatmeal with apples, pecans and raisins that you will not get tired of eating all week.
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or substitute brown sugar, or sugar substitute)
- 2 ½ cups milk ( I used half non- dairy coconut milk and half 1 % milk)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 apples ( I've used Envy, Honeycrisp and Jazz), peeled, cored and diced
- ½ cup golden or black raisins
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 ° F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Whisk the oats, baking powder, salt, sugar, raisins, nuts and spices in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla
- Pour the egg mixture over the dry ingredients mixture and stir together.
- Add the melted butter and mix thoroughly.
- Put chopped apples on the bottom of your pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 35 - 45 minutes until firm and golden on top and the center is set. I checked it at 35 min. and mine was cooked at 45.
- You can serve this baked oatmeal warm from the oven, room temperature or lightly reheated in microwave; with or without additional milk.
This recipe was inspired by Mel's Kitchen Cafe.
Keywords: Baked Apple Oatmeal, Oatmeal with Pecans and Raisins