What is better than a 2 for 1 dessert? Well, yes there are many things, but this is a food blog, so…. You will love this low carb chocolate quick bread. It is a delicious stand alone dessert but I discovered it can morph into a decadent trifle treat.
This chocolate bread is not a deep rich cake. This recipe from Carb manager was perfect since I was searching for a light cocoa flavor that would lend itself to being more of a base for whipped cream or no sugar added ice cream.
Ingredients for low carb chocolate quick bread:
- almond flour, finely milled ( I recommend Bob’s Red Mill)
- baking powder
- ground golden flaxseed meal (Bob’s again; I believe it’s necessary for texture)
- confectioner’s powder sugar substitute ( I used Swerve)
- dark cocoa powder ( Hershey’s is my preference)
- sour cream (not pictured)
- extra virgin olive oil
- Xanthan gum (optional, but it helps texture)
This is a simple quick bread to make. You just dump all the dry ingredients in a food processor, pulsing until smooth. Then the wet ingredients are added and mixed again. I haven’t tried it but I’m guessing you can use a mixer if you don’t have a processor. The idea is not to over mix the batter.
Pour the batter into a parchment lined 9×5 loaf pan which has been sprayed with baking spray
The quick bread rises up beautifully and after it has fully cooled, also slices easily. I have found some low carb cakes and breads crumble easily and are difficult to remove from the pan and also hard to slice cleanly.
It is a delicious bread and not overly sweet. The first time we tried it, I just added a swirl of coconut non dairy whipped cream. It was wonderful and I couldn’t imagine changing a thing. However, I found it only stayed light and fresh for about 3 days at room temperature and didn’t really do any better after freezing. Now if you have a larger family, you could easily finish this low carb chocolate bread in 3 days. But it’s just Jim and I so I wanted to find another option.
The perfect solution was a trifle. Here’s how I made it:
- I defrosted the remainder of the bread and cut it into cubes.
- I made a chocolate fudge no sugar instant pudding.
- Using half of the pudding, I added some no sugar cool whip to make a mousse-like pudding.
- I added some vanilla extract to the remainder of the cool whip.
- Then just layer; starting with chocolate bread, pudding, mousse, whipped topping. Finish off with a no sugar chocolate syrup. ( I like the Choc-Zero brand).
And ta-da, an ooey, gooey delight!
Some other desserts you may like:Print
This delicious low carb chocolate quick bread is wonderful on its own. But add a few simple ingredients and it turns into a decadent delight.
- 1 cup fine milled almond flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ground golden flaxseed meal
- 4 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups confectioner’s sugar substitute
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5 parchment lined loaf pan with baking spray.
- Combine all dry ingredients and pulse in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the eggs, sour cream, oil and extract. Continue to pulse until completely mixed together.
- Pour in prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (mine took the full 55 minutes).
- Let cool on wire rack before removing to fully cool.
- Cover and keep at room temperature for 3 days.
- Category: Low Carb
- Method: Bake
Keywords: Low Carb Chocolate Quick Bread