This low carb sweet garlic chicken was part of a freezer meal prep I did a few weeks back. The chicken thighs were pre stuffed with my delicious garlic sauce and then flash frozen on a baking sheet. It really helps to freeze them individually first on a pan. They will not be frozen in a block and it will be much easier to defrost.
What goes great with sweet garlic chicken?
It would not be dinner at my house without at least two vegetables, sometimes three. When vegetables are seasoned perfectly, it is easy to want to fill your plate, even if you are definitely a meat eater! You will love these roasted vegetables that can easily cook in the oven along with the chicken. They only require a little prep and bake at the same temperature as the chicken.
We have cauliflower rice every week. I usually take a shortcut and start with frozen cauliflower rice. It is quickly cooked in the microwave and then sautéed in a pan with a spray of olive oil and any spice you love. That caramelized color just adds to the delicious flavor of the cauliflower rice. When you sauté the cauliflower, it also firms up the texture to simulate rice.
How to make low carb sweet garlic chicken:
- Chop 4-5 cloves of garlic and add to a small skillet with 2 tablespoons butter
- Stir the butter and garlic on medium heat until butter is melted. Make sure the flame is not too high or garlic could burn and it will not taste very good in the sauce.
- Stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar substitute. ( I used Swerve)
- Mix in 1-2 teaspoons of your favorite dried or fresh spice. I used some salt and pepper, dried rosemary and some onion powder. Stir sauce a minute or two until it thickens.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Gently pull back the skin from the chicken thighs and with a spoon or your fingers, rub the sauce onto the thigh meat and also on top of the skin.
Not very pretty, but it is a fantastic sweet and garlicky sauce for this chicken dinner.
The thighs had been frozen with the sauce and I just defrosted in the refrigerator and spooned any extra sauce back over top. I also had some extra that I rubbed on to some breasts for lunches.
How to bake the chicken thighs:
The chicken thighs were baked in a 425°F preheated oven for about 20 -25 minutes, until a meat thermometer registers 165°. If you like the skin to be a bit crispier, just place the pan under a broiler for just a few minutes. The chicken can be baked from frozen if you forget to defrost or run out of time. Just increase the cooking time by at least 50%. Always check for doneness with the thermometer.
So that is a lovely healthy meal that is full of different flavors. And a bonus that it is not sweetened by any refined sugar. I always make extra, the leftovers are fantastic!
If you like this chicken dinner, here’s another one to try.Print
You will love these chicken thighs that are covered in a sweet and garlicky sauce. The extra bonus is there is no refined sugar added to the sauce.
- 2 lbs. organic chicken thighs (about 4)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4–5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar substitute ( I used Swerve)
- 1–2 teaspoons seasoning of choice ( I used salt and pepper, onion powder and rosemary)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cook garlic in butter in a pan until melted and garlic is lightly sautéed. Don’t overcook the garlic.
- Stir in brown sugar substitute and seasonings and continue cooking until completely mixed and begins to slightly thicken.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Using a spoon or your fingers rub the garlic mixture under the skin and on top of the chicken thighs.
- Bake for approximately 20- 25 minutes or until lightly browned and thermometer reads 165°.
- If you want it crispier, put pan under the broiler for a minute or two.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
Keywords: Low carb sweet garlic chicken