Some recipes seem too good to be true. Have you ever scrolled through Google searching for a recipe and upon reading it said, no way, this can't be good, so you move on. Well I almost did that with this simply delicious almond loaf cake and I'm so glad I took a chance. It truly is simply delicious! And pretty!
I make a lot of pound and bundt cakes for my husband to take to work and share with his buddies. He prefers simple cakes without icing. If it has nuts in it, then that's a bonus.
The ingredients for the Simply Delicious Almond Loaf Cake are:
- Vegetable oil
- Almond extract
- All Purpose flour
- Sliced almonds
You will note there isn't any baking powder or baking soda in this recipe. I thought it unusual at first because most of the cakes I've baked had one or both. After re-reading the recipe and the comments on the After Orange County's website, I took a leap of faith and went ahead and made the cake.
I'm so glad I did! Apparently, the eggs in the recipe give the loaf enough rise without a leavening agent. It's not a huge cake and you do have to watch closely and not overbake it. But it's perfect and Jim requests it frequently.
Look how nice it is; sometimes simple is just right! Do not be afraid of the brown crust on the outside, it is not an indication of a dry cake in this recipe. The first time I made it, I actually knocked on the side of it and thought oh man, this is gonna be hard and dry. As long as you do not overbake, it will be perfect.
The only other suggestion I make is not to let it cool too long in the pan. Cakes can continue to cook in the pan while cooling and it will be overdone. That is why I used a lighter colored loaf pan. Once I made it in a standard dark pan and left it for 30-40 minutes and it was definitely too long.
I hope you give this lovely cake a try. Let me know in the comments how you liked it.Print
This is a delicious and dense almond loaf cake that is so simple to make. It looks very pretty when you serve it to family and friends.
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Lightly whisk the eggs in a medium to large bowl
- Add vegetable oil and almond extract and whisk together to combine.
- Stir in the flour, sugar and salt. Mix batter until blended, but do not over mix or the loaf will be tough.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and sprinkle almonds over top of batter lightly pressing them down. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Use a cake tester or toothpick to check loaf at approximately 45 minutes and check in 5 minute increments until tester comes out clean.
- Cool loaf on a rack for 10 minutes and then loosen with spatula and turn out onto the rack to finish cooling.
- This cake is so delicious on its own but if you prefer you can serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
*If you bake this cake in a dark loaf pan, make sure to check at the minimum time, a lighter pan may need a bit more time. A tester will be your best way to test doneness.
*This cake was inspired by After Orange County.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
Keywords: Simply Delicious Almond Loaf Cake