This healthy butter beans stew with sausage is an easy one pot main dish. Mild flavored creamy beans, lots of veggies and smokey kielbasa sausage is the perfect hearty, comforting meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and thinly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 pound smoked beef kielbasa sausage, cut in about 1 inch diameter pieces
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef or vegetable broth, low sodium
- 4 (15 ounce) cans butter beans
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder*
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- parsley or chopped onion to garnish
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium flame. Cook the kielbasa for 2-3 minutes until it browns. Remove to a plate.
- Heat the olive oil and add the onion. Stir for about 3-4 minutes until it begins to lightly brown.
- Add the peppers, carrots and celery and cook and stir for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Make sure the garlic doesn't burn.
- Pour in the tomatoes with the liquid, broth and the spices. Stir and cook for a minute to combine the flavors.
- Drain and rinse the canned butter beans. Pour beans into the pot. Add the kielbasa back to the pot. Cover and bring everything to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a low flame. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. You can leave the stew on the stove for another hour if you want it to stay warm until you are ready to serve.
- Sprinkle some chopped parsley or onion over bowl of stew and serve with crusty bread.
Keywords: comforting, soup, hearty main dish, one pot meal