Filled with tender beef and a rich and creamy mushroom sauce, this Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff is at the top of our list for favorite comfort meals. You will love this hearty and easy one-pot dinner.
- 2 pounds boneless beef sirloin, cut into 2 inch long thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 ounce package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large white or yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 ounces beef broth or stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Umami seasoning*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard (Dijon or stoneground)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 3 tablespoons Arrowroot powder*
- 16 ounces egg noodles
- Mix together the salt, pepper, Umami or steak seasoning and flour or Arrowroot powder in a large bowl.
- Stir in the sliced beef.
- Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat and pour in 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Brown the beef for 2 minutes on each side. Remove to a platter.
- Melt the tablespoon of butter and saute' the onions, garlic and mushrooms for about 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Add in the broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire, mustard, Bay leaves and thyme and parsley, if using. Scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen the brown bits.
- Bring to a simmer, cover the Dutch oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Pour in the egg noodles, cover pot again and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Measure sour cream in a cup or bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the hot broth into the cup and stir well. Keep adding 1 tablespoon at a time, using about 1/2 cup of liquid.
- Spoon in the sour cream/broth mixture into the stroganoff.
- Stir well and simmer until heated through.
*If you don't have or can't find the Umami seasoning, you can substitute a hamburger or steak seasoning.
*You can use flour or cornstarch for a thickener.
*Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
*Freeze the stroganoff separate from the noodles if you are concerned about the texture. Some pastas and noodles will get mushier when frozen and reheated.
Keywords: Stroganoff, Dutch oven, One-pot, hearty beef, healthy dinner