This hearty beef and sausage Dutch Oven Chili is simmered on the stove or cooked in the oven. Chipotle peppers, adobo sauce and ground chili peppers make for a deliciously smokey and spicy chili.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef *
- 1 pound ground sausage*
- 2 chipotle peppers, finely chopped*
- 2 tablespoons Adobo sauce*
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce *
- (1) 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- (1) 8 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- (1) 14 ounce can light red beans, rinsed and drained
- (2) 14 ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- (1) 14 ounce can pink kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat Dutch oven or heavy, oven safe pot over medium flame. Add oil and fry the onions until lightly browned. Remove to a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add ground beef and sausage to pot and brown the meat. Drain some of the fat if you prefer.*
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and stir to combine.
- Put Dutch oven pot in oven with lid and cook for 1-2 hours. Stir every 30 minutes.
- Remove lid, and continue to cook chili for another hour if you can.
- To cook on stovetop: let chili simmer for 1-2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook for another hour.*
- Serve with choice of toppings.*
*If you use beef with less fat, you may not want to drain it, choosing to keep the fat in the chili for added flavor.
*Removing the lid allows the chili to thicken in the last hour of cooking.
*The toppings in this recipe are sour cream, sliced jalapenos, and shredded cheese. Choose avocado, tortilla chips, chopped onions if preferred.
*This recipe offers a hearty 12 servings. If you'd like a smaller amount, reduce some of the ground meat and one less can of beans.
Keywords: beef, beans, stew, soup sausage