Red cabbage is really an underrated vegetable. It is so much more than a pickled side dish. Try it fried with herbs, butter and onions. This fried red cabbage goes with so many meals you will love it year round.
- 1 small head of red cabbage, washed, drained, cut into thin slices*
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or brown sugar substitute **
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or garlic paste
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large frying pan on medium heat and cook onions for about 4-5 minutes until they are softened and lightly browned. Remove onions to a bowl.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon butter and cook the cabbage for 3-4 minutes. It will start to brown. You can turn the heat down to low if it is browning too much.
- Add the garlic, basil, brown sugar and salt and pepper and continue to cook the cabbage until the texture is what you like.***
- Add back the onions, heat through.
- Serve warm.
*It is easier to chop the cabbage after it has been cut in half with the core removed. A smallish head of cabbage will yield about 7 cups shredded cabbage. But it will shrink down as it cooks
**If you are counting carbs, use the sugar substitute.
***For a slightly crunchy texture- cook about 6-7 minutes. For softer-8-10 minutes.
*Store leftover red cabbage in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Freeze cooled cabbage in a zipper style freezer bag or air tight container for up to 3 months.
Keywords: sautéed cabbage, savory vegetables