These grilled beets have a sweet and smokey flavor. Drizzled with a scallion vinaigrette sauce, it is a flavorful side dish for any meal.
- 1 pound red and/or yellow beets (about 4 medium size)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions (scallions), chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar *
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar *
- 2 sprigs of thyme, minced fine, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Preheat grill over medium heat.
- Make the scallion sauce: Stir together the chopped scallions, Dijon, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and mayonnaise. Slowly pour in the olive oil and whisk together quickly to combine well. Refrigerate until needed.
- Wash and peel beets. Cut of the ends of the beets, discard or save to make broth. Cut the beets into 1/4 inch slices.
- Mix the oil and salt together and combine with sliced beets. Stir to coat.
- Place beet slices on grill, close lid and cook for 6 minutes. Turn flame to low -medium if the beets are getting too charred.
- Flip the beets over and cook another 6 minutes.
- Place beets on a platter. Remove scallion sauce from refrigerator, whisk again to combine. Drizzle over the beets and serve.
*You can use all red or all yellow beets as you prefer.
*To substitute the sherry wine vinegar, use white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar or balsamic. The red wine and balsamic are a stronger flavor. You may need to add an extra teaspoon of sugar. Taste test the sauce before you add more of anything.
*To save some carbs, use granulated sugar substitute.
Keywords: grilled beets, root vegetables, healthy side dishes