Chicken thighs are marinated in a spicy and tangy sauce and grilled quickly on an outdoor bbq or baked in your oven. Using chicken thighs is a great way to create a low carb, high protein meal.
- 1.75 lbs. skinless ,boneless chicken thighs (about 7 pieces)*
- 1/2 cup hot sauce ( I used Frank's brand)
- 1/4 cup sugar free sweet chili sauce *
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- Combine marinade ingredients.
- Place thighs in a glass dish or bowl and pour marinade over.*
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove from refrigerator, drain marinade and let chicken come to room temperature.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Test with a meat thermometer. The thighs should register 165°F.
- Or if you want to grill the thighs:
- Brush a little oil on grill and heat on medium high flame.
- Place thighs on grill and let them cook for about 5 minutes before turning. Turn heat down to medium and cook the other side for about another 5 minutes. Test with thermometer.
*You can also use bone in, skin on thighs. The will take a few minutes longer in the oven to cook.
* For substitutions, you can use regular sweet chili sauce or bbq sauce, if carbs are not a concern. Try sugar free "honey" or regular honey, sugar free or regular orange marmalade. The idea is to balance the spicy with a bit of sweet. It makes a delicious marinade for chicken.
*Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes or up to overnight. The longer the chicken sits in the sauce, the deeper the flavor. Make sure to drain the thighs before grilling and don't reuse the marinade for basting.
*If you want to baste the thighs, separate a 1/4 cups of marinade before pouring over the chicken. Use that to baste.
Keywords: spicy chicken, low carb, keto, protein, healthy