If you love Szechuan Chicken or General Tso's chicken, you will love this hot and spicy chicken recipe! Choose the level of spiciness with the amount of dried chili peppers used in this dish. This quick stir fry puts a healthy dinner on the table in just about 30 minutes.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 8-10 dried chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce *
- 2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or to taste *
- 1/4 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Arrowroot powder or cornstarch *
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium
Garnish with chopped green onions.
- Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet.
- Saute' the chili peppers in the hot oil for 3 minutes. If you cut open 3-4 chili peppers, the seeds will give an extra spicy flavor. Remove peppers to a bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and stir fry the chicken cubes until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Stir together the sauce ingredients and add it and the chili peppers to the skillet.
- Lower heat to low-medium flame. Bring to a simmer and stir for 2-3 minutes until heated through and the sauce is slightly thickened. Remove chili peppers before serving.
- Serve over white, brown or cauliflower rice. Garnish with optional chopped scallions or sesame seeds.
Make sure you before adding to the skillet. Add more sweetener if needed. Don't add more soy sauce before tasting since it is salty.
Only stir fry the chicken for a few minutes. It will remain tender if it is not overcooked.
in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a skillet on the stove for 2-3 minutes until hot.
for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator and reheat as above.
Keywords: spicy chicken, stir fry chicken, quick meals, spicy sauce