Homemade pickled relish is made with spicy jalapeños and citrusy orange marmalade. It's a tasty way to add extra flavor to chicken, fish, pork or beef. Make a small or big batch, it is so much better than store bought relish.
- 4 large Jalapeno peppers ( about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade *
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cut off and remove tops of jalapeños and slice down the middle. Remove the inside of pepper, reserving some of the seeds depending on how spicy you like your relish. *
- Cut garlic clove into quarters.
- Place peppers and garlic in a mini or regular food processor and pulse for 10 seconds. Check the consistency. You want the jalapeños to be very finely minced but not wet and mushy. Pulse a few seconds more if needed.
- Stir in the salt, vinegar and marmalade. Taste test for spiciness and sweetness. Add more reserved pepper seed or marmalade as desired.
- Spoon into a glass jar or airtight plastic container and store in refrigerator until ready to use.*
*If you like a very spicy relish, don't discard all the seeds from the jalapeños. Save some and add to the relish as you'd like. Wear gloves or be very concious about not touching your face while chopping the jalapeños. The oils from the seeds and pepper can make your skin burn and eyes tear quite a bit.
*If you are watching your carb counts, use a sugar free or low sugar marmalade for the relish.
*The relish will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week. It also can be stored in the freezer for about a month. After you defrost the relish in the refrigerator, if there is a bit of water separated in the relish, just pour it off. It still tastes great!
Keywords: spicy condiment, pickled peppers