This light and airy keto angel food cake makes such a pretty presentation Topped with a fluffy, sugar free chocolate pudding frosting, it is a very special dessert.
- 12 egg whites, room temperature*
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup powdered sugar substitute ( I used 1/2 Swerve 1/2 Lakanto monkfruit)**
- 3/4 cup fine almond flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup Arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 box sugar free instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (8 oz.) container sugar free Cool Whip whipped topping, defrosted
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Make frosting: Mix the instant pudding with the milk. Stir to fully incorporate the dry pudding mix. Fold in the cool whip. Refrigerate the frosting while cake is baking.
- Make cake:
- Sift together the almond flour, salt and arrowroot powder. Set aside.
- Begin beating the egg whites in a mixer on high speed until frothy. It will not look creamy at this point Beat in cream of tartar. Then slowly beat in the powdered sugar and extracts.
- Continue beating until the egg whites form soft peaks. (see photo above)
- Hand mix in the dry ingredients a little at a time. Gently fold over the egg whites until flour is mixed in.
- Pour batter into an ungreased angel food pan*. Smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Check at 40 minutes, the top should be golden brown.
- Remove pan and turn upside down on a cooling rack.
- When completely cooled, run a butter knife or metal spatula around edges and bottom of cake pan.
- Brush off crumbs and frost cake with pudding frosting. You can decorate with some unsweetened chocolate shavings if you'd like.
* You can use egg whites from a carton, but will not get as much height or exact same results as using regular egg whites. (See explanation/photo above). See post for uses for egg yolks.
**I have experimented with different types of sugar substitutes and have usually found that using a combination gets very good results
***Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Freeze unfrosted cake for up to 3 months.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Keto Angel Food Cake with Pudding Frosting