This Keto Orange Chicken is a healthy, sweet and spicy version of your favorite take out. It has all the delicious flavors but without all the added sugar.
- 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil *
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice **
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar Swerve or another sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon sugar free orange marmalade ***
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce ****
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2-4 tablespoons water if needed
- Cut the boneless thighs into 1 inch cubes.
- Heat oil in large fry pan and saute' the chicken approximately 4 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown. Remove to a bowl or plate.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients except xanthan gum. Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Pour into the fry pan and while stirring bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Lower heat to a simmer and sprinkle in the xanthan gum, stirring well as it thickens.
- Put chicken back into pan and stir to coat with the sauce and heat through. If the sauce is too thick or you prefer it a bit thinner, just add some water and stir into the sauce to heat.
- You can sprinkle some minced chives or scallions and serve over cauliflower rice.
*I used olive oil, but you can use avocado, coconut or another oil of your choice.
**If you don't have any oranges to juice, use a low sugar orange juice. Just read the label. Some are higher sugar than others.
***I used the Polaner brand sugar free marmalade. I have also seen some by Smuckers and Walden Farms. Again, read the label. Choose the brand that you prefer.
****If you don't have or prefer not to use the Oyster sauce, you can use fish sauce or leave it out. The Oyster sauce is not a fishy flavor. It just gives the orange sauce a richer flavor but I'm sure it will still be good without it.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: 30 minute meals, chicken dinners, low carb recipes