This keto stuffing is a delicious, low carb side dish for the Holidays. It's so flavorful with plenty of onions, celery and sage and lightly moistened with vegetable broth.
For the stuffing 'bread' cubes:
- 3/4 cup fine almond flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1 TB golden flaxseed meal
- 1 TB sugar substitute
- 6 TB melted butter
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp corn extract (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
For the stuffing:
- 1/4 cup butter ( 1/2 stick)
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp of thyme*
- 1/2 tsp of rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a sheet of parchment or silicone liner on a cookie sheet.
- In a bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Mix in the butter, cream and eggs. Add in corn extract, if using.
- Spread the batter on the cookie sheet. Smooth it out thinly and evenly on the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Lower oven temperature to 200°F and continue to bake the stuffing cubes on the low temp. for another 1-2 hours.
- Cool on a rack. They will continue to crisp up and be the perfect base for your stuffing. **
- Place on a cutting board and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Saute' the onion and celery until softened.
- Stir in the seasonings.
- Add in the cubed bread and stir to coat with butter and vegetables.
- Pour in the broth, 1/2 cup at a time and mix well. Add more to desired moistness.
- Pour stuffing into a lightly greased casserole.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. If you'd like the stuffing a bit more crispier, you can put under the broiler for a minute or so. Watch it carefully or it will burn.
*Instead of individual dried spices, you can use poultry seasoning or chopped fresh herbs. For fresh herbs, use more than the dried amount to season the stuffing.
*If you have time, letting the stuffing cubes sit out overnight will help crisp them even further.
** For make ahead options, bake the stuffing cubes, let them crisp overnight and then put in a freezer bag or container and freeze until ready to put together the complete stuffing. You can also put the entire stuffing together the day before. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature 30 minutes or so before you are ready to bake it. You may need to add five minutes to cook time if it is still cold.
***If you prefer, you can use chicken or turkey stock for a different flavor in your stuffing.
Keywords: Keto Stuffing