This old fashioned baked custard style rice pudding is a special low carb treat. You would never know it’s made with cauliflower rice!
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk ( I used 2 %)
- 1 cup sugar substitute ( I used Swerve & Allulose)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (a bit more for topping)
- 1 10 oz .package frozen cauliflower rice, partially cooked al dente
- Cook the cauliflower rice for approximately 3 minutes in microwave or in a skillet. The rice should not be fully cooked, but still slightly firm.
- Pour rice into a clean kitchen bowl and wring out as much liquid as possible. Leave in the towel and set aside while you make the pudding.
- Lightly grease or butter 2 quart casserole dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and then whisk in the milk
- Stir in the vanilla, salt and spices . Fold in the cauliflower rice
- Pour pudding into the prepared casserole dish
- Put casserole into a larger pan with water up to about an inch or so onto the casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered for approximately 55 -60 minutes. Gently stir the pudding after about 30 minutes so that the cauliflower rice doesn’t stay settled on the bottom of pudding.
- The pudding is done when a thin knife inserted in the center comes out clean.