This low carb, sugar free tomato sauce tastes like a classic homemade pasta meat sauce. Simmered with San Marzano tomatoes and Italian seasonings, no one will know it is healthy and low carb.
- 1 pound ground beef, 85 % lean
- (1) 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes, San Marzano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-3 teaspoons sugar substitute
- shaved parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
- Add oil to large skillet and fry the onion until light brown. Add the minced garlic and cook for about 1-2 minutes, but don't brown it. Remove these to bowl or plate.
- Fry the ground beef in pan until browned. Drain the fat. Stir in the seasonings and sugar substitute.
- Add the tomatoes, onion and garlic. Stir well, cover and bring to light boil. Turn heat down to simmer and cook for at least 30 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. *
- Serve with pasta of choice, garnish with shaved parmesan cheese.
* you can use fresh basil, 1/4 chopped = 1 Tablespoon
*Taste the sauce before you add more seasonings or sugar.
*Other brands of crushed tomatoes are fine. Just read the label for added sugar.
*If you have more time, simmer the sauce for up to an additional hour for a very thick sauce.
*Each serving of sauce is approximately 3/4 cup.
*Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months, defrost overnight in refrigerator and reheat on stovetop.
Keywords: homemade, marinara, pasta sauce, low carb, keto pasta