One of summer’s favorite vegetables, these zucchini boats are filled with more fresh vegetables and sweet italian sausage. A cheesy topping adds to the delicious and savory flavors. This is a quick and easy meal that reheats perfectly, if there are any leftovers.
- 3 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 lb. sweet italian sausage, links or ground*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms ( I used cremini)**
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes***
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly scrape top layer of seeds from zucchini. I toss the seeds, you can choose to keep in the recipe.
- Using a melon baller, cookie scoop or a spoon, scrape the flesh from the zucchini. Leave about 1/4 ” layer in the zucchini.
- Place the (6) zucchini halves on a parchment lined cookie sheet or casserole.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Pour out any liquid that collected inside the zucchini boats.
- In a large fry pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute the sausage until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
- Saute the onion, garlic, mushrooms and zucchini flesh with a tablespoon of oil and cook for about 4- 5 more minutes.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes to pan and cook until they are very soft and begin to split and burst.
- Stir the sausage back into pan and combine with the vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the parmesean cheese.
- Fill each zucchini half with the filling, and sprinkle mozzarella on top. ****
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until cheese has melted and is lightly browned.
*If you use the links, just remove the casing and then saute the ground sausage.
**You can use white button, shiitake or portobello mushrooms.
***If you would prefer to use whole tomatoes, just chop them in small pieces and cook as recipe states.
****You may have some leftover filling that doesn’t fit in the zucchini boats. You can cook it as a side dish another night or freeze for a future meal.
Keywords: Sausage and Mushroom Zucchini Boats