Grilled shrimp basted with an herb basil butter are served in a salad with crunchy vegetables and a tangy Louie style dressing. A healthy, low carb salad to enjoy for lunch or a light supper.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup *
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound shrimp ( about 30 ), *cooked and chilled from refrigerator
- 1 large head of Romaine lettuce **
- 1 English cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup radishes, sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 sliced avocado
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 hardboiled eggs, shells removed, sliced in half
- Combine dressing ingredients and either whisk or pulse in a food processor until mixed together.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Defrost shrimp under cold running water, about 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry with towel.
- Grill on outdoor or indoor grill pan, basting with Basil butter or use a little vinaigrette for extra flavor.*
- Cook for approximately 2 1/2 minutes per side. Shrimp will be pinkish orange when cooked.
- Chill in refrigerator until ready to make salad.
- Onto 4 dinner plates, place an equal portion of lettuce, tomatoes and other salad ingredients.
- Place the shrimp and an equal amount of hardboiled egg halves onto the plates.
- Drizzle dressing over salad. Serve cold.
*Use no sugar added or sugar free ketchup to lower the carbs.
*Make sure the shrimp are peeled and deveined before cooking. I purchased mine frozen from a seafood market and they were cleaned and ready to cook.
*If you prefer, pan fry the defrosted shrimp in a little olive oil and some salt and pepper. The cook time will be the same as grilling, about 5 minutes total.
*You can use your choice of greens for the salad; butter lettuce, iceberg, green leaf or spinach.
Keywords: seafood salad, shellfish meal, healthy vegetable salad