This low carb version of pepper steak and onions is full of colorful peppers, tender beef and a sauce with no refined sugars. You can easily cook it in a skillet on your cooktop.
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil *
- 3 tablespoons sugar substitute ( I used Swerve brown sugar)
- 4 peppers, (I used a combination of red, yellow & green), cut into strips
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced or 2 teaspoons ground garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of low sodium beef broth or diluted brown gravy mix
- 2 lbs.of top round, stew beef or flank steak, sliced thin against the grain. **
- salt and pepper to taste
- cherry tomatoes-optional
- Mix the soy sauce, beef broth or 2 tablespoons brown gravy mix with 1/4 cup water. Add in the vinegar, sugar substitute, garlic and ginger. Set aside.
- Heat a few teaspoons of oil in a large skillet and cook the onions until they are very lightly browned about 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add another two teaspoons of oil and cook the peppers until they are softened a bit but are not soggy. You want them to maintain their color and still have a touch of crunch. Set them aside as well.
- Heat a bit more oil and sauté the beef until cooked and no longer pink, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the beef, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer . Add the onions, peppers and optional cherry tomatoes to skillet and stir to heat through.
- Serve with cauliflower rice.
*If the skillet is getting a little dry as you are sautéing the meat or vegetables, add a bit of water rather than more oil.
**I always trim off any additional fat on the beef. It will lessen the calories, but not the flavor.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Skillet
Keywords: Skillet Pepper Steak and Onions