An easy weeknight shortcut for Sauerbraten made in your slow cooker.
- 2 lbs. flank steak, sliced thin (you can use top round steak)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup wine vinegar (I used pomegranate vinegar)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar ( if your wine is on the drier side, add another tablespoon of sugar to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 –3 whole bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs ( you can use regular breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 beaten egg
- Coat sliced beef in cornstarch ( use a large. bowl or ziplock bag)
- Pour all ingredients into the slow cooker. Mix to combine
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours until beef is tender.
- While beef is cooking, prepare the potato balls
- Preheat oven to 375°F,
- Add ginger and cloves to breadcrumbs.
- Form mashed potatoes into a golf ball sized balls
- Roll potato balls in the egg and then into the breadcrumbs.
- I repeated rolling in crumbs until the potato balls were fully covered.
- Spray a parchment lined baking sheet with olive oil spray and place potato balls on it.
- Spray them with the olive oil spray to help with crispiness.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, turning the potato balls after 10 minutes.
- Bake for a few more minutes if you’d like them extra crispy.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
Keywords: Slow Cooker Shortcut Sauerbraten