This sweet and sour kielbasa has a combination of flavors that are so delicious but nothing like the Chinese takeout dish. It gets it sweetness from the applesauce BBQ sauce brown sugar. And the sour flavor comes from sauerkraut. Add to all this is a variety of vegetables making it a fantastic one-pot meal.
- 1 pound precooked beef kielbasa, sliced into 1/2" pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 16 ounce can of sauerkraut, rinsed and drained*
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce*
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar*
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine the sauerkraut, sugar and applesauce in a small bowl.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter in a large skillet.
- Add the sliced kielbasa and cook over medium heat 3-4 minutes until browned on both sides. Add the BBQ sauce and stir to coat kielbasa.
- Remove kielbasa to a bowl or plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of butter over medium heat and cook the sliced onions for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Push onions to the side of skillet and stir in the peppers. Cook for about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the sauerkraut mixture, tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for 4 minutes until everything is blended.
- Add the kielbasa back to the skillet and cook for a final minute to heat everything through.
*If you can find it, refrigerated sauerkraut is preferred over canned.
*You can use presweetened applesauce. Consider not adding any sugar to the recipe without tasting first. It may not need it.
I think the unsweetened is better because you can add your own amount of sugar. I also like the flavor of brown sugar in this recipe.
*If you don't have cherry tomatoes, use 2 regular tomatoes, cut into eighths.
*Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stovetop over low-medium heat. Add a tablespoon or two of water or broth to moisten if it needs it. You can also reheat on a covered dish for 2-3 minutes.
Keywords: sausage, kielbasa, one-pot, skillet, easy dinner