For such an an easy recipe with really simple ingredients, you will be thrilled at how extraordinary this blackened steak tastes. A fancy steakhouse meal is yours to enjoy at a fraction of the price.
- 2 New York Strip Steaks ( 1.75 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon avocado, canola or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Remove steaks from refrigerator about 20-30 minutes before cooking. *
- Stir together the seasonings. Press them into both sides of the steaks.
- Heat a cast iron skillet, grill pan or other heavy pan over medium-high flame.
- Pour oil in pan and place steaks in pan. Don't move steaks while they are cooking.
- Pan sear the steaks for 5-6 minutes. Flip the steaks and cook them for another 4-5 minutes. Test with an internal meat thermometer. Cook steaks for a few more minutes until desired doneness.
- Place a small pat of remaining butter on the steaks and remove to a platter. Allow meat to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing steak.
*Room temperature meats cook more evenly.
*The resting beef's internal temperature will rise about 5° as it sits on the platter.
* 1.75 pounds of steak will serve 5 with about 5 ounces per serving, allowing for some shrinkage.
*Store leftovers in the refrigerator for about 3 days. Use in a salad, or you can reheat, add some peppers and onions and make a fajita.
Keywords: beef, steak dinner, low carb, keto