Tender leaves of butter lettuce and a rainbow variety of vegetables make up this deliciously healthy salad. Dress it with some creamy balsamic vinaigrette and you have an easy low carb lunch or side dish for dinner.
- 1 head of butter lettuce *
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 seedless English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3-4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped in bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Balsamic dressing
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (or brown sugar substitute)**
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry the lettuce. Cut off the root end. Place the lettuce head in large bowl and spread out the leaves.
- Add in the washed and dried vegetables.
- Sprinkle the shaved parmesan over salad.
- Combine the oil, vinegars, sugar (or sugar substitute), spices, garlic, mayonnaise and mustard.
- Either whisk well in a small bowl or use an immersion blender to combine.
- Pour into a small bottle. Shake or stir right before serving with salad.
*Keep butter lettuce dry and store in refrigerator crisper until ready to serve. If it comes with a root end attached, leave it on until you wash it and prepare for the salad.
**When making the dressing, you can use sugar substitute if you would prefer keeping carbohydrates lower.
***I have made this dressing both with and without an immersion blender. It's nice to use if you are serving the salad right away since it really blends the dressing smoothly and fast. If I am serving later, the dressing will have to be whisked again or shaken to re-mix it as it settles so I wouldn't bother with the blender. It will stay fresh in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
****Please note the salad will serve about 4. However the dressing will make about 3/4 cup, allowing for 2 tablespoons per serving. Some may like to add more which is why there is more than enough dressing in the recipe. Calories are calculated as if all of the dressing is divided among 4 people. .
Keywords: butter lettuce salad, healthy vegetables, low carb, creamy balsamic dressing