This easy healthy salad is made with mild flavored butter lettuce and filled with a variety of colorful vegetables. The delicate leaves remind me of a flower and make a pretty presentation if you are serving the salad to family and friends. The balsamic dressing is creamy and slightly sweet. You will love the soft texture of this salad. No wonder it's called 'butter' lettuce.
Why this salad is just so good.....
- Butter lettuce has a very delicate flavor that lends really well to so many types vegetable add ins and dressings. I added a combination of soft and crunchy veggies to balance the lettuce's soft texture.
- Balsamic dressing is a creamy, tangy, slightly sweet vinaigrette that does not overwhelm the salad and keeps all week in the refrigerator. It has plenty of flavor so you don't have to drench the salad with the dressing. Or my Creamy Garlic Dressing would be delicious as well!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- This recipe uses one full head of butter lettuce which usually comes with the root attached and sometimes is in a plastic container. Store the lettuce as is in the refrigerator to keep it fresh.
- There is a combination of different vegetables in this salad for a nice balance. Tomatoes and olives provide a soft flavorful texture. The red onions, cucumbers and radishes give the salad a satisfying crunch. You can also try avocado, beans, carrots or any variety of vegetables that you love.
- The salad is topped with some shaved parmesan. But you can use feta, goat cheese or some mozzarella.
Step by Step Directions
- Prepare the lettuce by cutting off the bottom root and washing it thoroughly. I usually fill a large bowl and submerge the leaves and remove to a strainer in the sink and pat dry with a towel.
- Place the lettuce in a large bowl with the butter lettuce open in a cup shape. Spread out the leaves.
- Fill the lettuce with the washed and dried vegetables of choice. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Measure the vinegars, oil, sugar, garlic and spices in measuring cup. Blend with an immersion blender or use a whisk to combine.
- To change up the dressing, you can add some lemon juice or chopped fresh herbs. Try some sun-dried tomatoes or add a little kick with a pinch of red pepper flakes. Taste as you go!
This low calorie lettuce is full of nutrients and antioxidants. According to Healthline, it has higher amounts of iron than other types of lettuce.
Since most butter lettuce is sold in tact in a container, you should take it out the container and store in your refrigerator crisper until ready to use. It should last about 7 days. Don't wash it until ready to use. Then fully submerge the lettuce in a bowl or your sink, drain it and lightly dry the lettuce. When you are ready to make the salad, cut off the root of the lettuce.
Here are some other delicious salads to try:
If you tried this recipe, please let me know in the comments. And I would love if you gave me a rating. This tells me what you enjoy and would like to see more of. 😊Print
Tender leaves of butter lettuce and a rainbow variety of vegetables make up this deliciously healthy salad. Dress it with some creamy balsamic vinaigrette and you have an easy low carb lunch or side dish for dinner.
- 1 head of butter lettuce *
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- ½ seedless English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3-4 radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, chopped in bite size pieces
- ½ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Balsamic dressing
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (or brown sugar substitute)**
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry the lettuce. Cut off the root end. Place the lettuce head in large bowl and spread out the leaves.
- Add in the washed and dried vegetables.
- Sprinkle the shaved parmesan over salad.
- Combine the oil, vinegars, sugar (or sugar substitute), spices, garlic, mayonnaise and mustard.
- Either whisk well in a small bowl or use an immersion blender to combine.
- Pour into a small bottle. Shake or stir right before serving with salad.
*Keep butter lettuce dry and store in refrigerator crisper until ready to serve. If it comes with a root end attached, leave it on until you wash it and prepare for the salad.
**When making the dressing, you can use sugar substitute if you would prefer keeping carbohydrates lower.
***I have made this dressing both with and without an immersion blender. It's nice to use if you are serving the salad right away since it really blends the dressing smoothly and fast. If I am serving later, the dressing will have to be whisked again or shaken to re-mix it as it settles so I wouldn't bother with the blender. It will stay fresh in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
****Please note the salad will serve about 4. However the dressing will make about ¾ cup, allowing for 2 tablespoons per serving. Some may like to add more which is why there is more than enough dressing in the recipe. Calories are calculated as if all of the dressing is divided among 4 people. .
- Category: Salad
- Method: N/A
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: butter lettuce salad, healthy vegetables, low carb, creamy balsamic dressing