These delicious brussels sprouts are pan fried until golden brown and tossed with a sweet and spicy sauce. You will never want to cook them any other way!
Why this recipe is just so good...
- The brussels sprouts are quickly pan fried and become caramelized and sweet as they cook. They will lose any bitterness they have when raw. There is a whole new savory flavor when they are sautéed, fried or roasted.
- Just a few ingredients are needed and in about 20 minutes, this healthy side dish will be on the table.
- With a few simple ingredient changes, you can easily convert this to a no sugar added recipe that is low carb and keto.
- If you love pan fried vegetables, you will want to try my Sautéed Radishes or Fried Cabbage and Onions.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Besides the Brussels sprouts and butter for frying, you will need some seasonings and sweet chili sauce.
- For the chili sauce, I purchased a bottle of Trader Joes brand (from Amazon) since I was making this recipe for a family meal. If I was making this just for myself and to keep the carbs lower, I would make my own using regular unsweetened chili sauce and sugar substitute to taste. I have loved the G Hughes brand but it is very hard to find.
- The seasonings used in this recipe are just some basic salt, pepper, garlic, onion, red pepper flakes and paprika. To change up the flavors you can also try some fresh herbs like rosemary, basil, thyme or parsley. Or add a citrus flavor with a little lemon juice. If you like a more savory flavor, add some crispy bacon.
Are Brussels Sprouts a superfood?
According to Healthline, they are high in antioxidants and nutrients such as Vitamin K and Vitamin C. And they are low calorie/carb, you can enjoy as much as you want. Healthline mentioned that for those who have hypothyroidism, you may want to consider that brussels sprouts can interfere with thyroid function. Check with your doctor for any concerns.
How to make Crispy Brussels Sprouts
- Trim the bottom core off the sprouts. You can make a little "V" on the end and just cut that part out. Rinse them well in cold water.
- Heat a saucepan of salted water to low boil. Cook sprouts for 4 minutes. Drain and dry on a towel.
- Heat a large fry pan over medium flame and add olive oil.
- Fry brussels spouts cut side down for 3-4 minutes, turn over and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove them from the pan. Add the butter and melt over low medium heat. Add the chili sauce and seasonings.
- Place brussels sprouts back in pan and stir well to coat with the sauce
- Choose tightly closed brussels sprouts with green, not yellowing leaves.
- Only boil (blanch) the brussels sprouts for 4 minutes or so. You will still be cooking them in the pan and don't want them mushy. You can test with a knife which should just about go through them all the way.
- Make sure they are dry before placing in the hot oil to avoid dangerous splattering.
You may want to try these other special vegetable dishes.
If you tried this recipe and enjoyed it, I'd love if you came back and gave it a 5 star rating. This tells me what you like and want to see more of. Thank you!!Print
These delicious brussel sprouts are pan fried until golden brown and tossed with a sweet and spicy sauce. You will never want to cook them any other way!
- 1 lb. Brussels Sprouts, halved
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup sweet chili sauce *
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Fill a saucepan ⅔ full of water, add a teaspoon of salt and bring to a simmering boil.
- Wash and trim off the bottom core of the brussels sprouts. Cook them in the saucepan for 4 minutes.
- Drain and dry them on a towel.
- Heat large fry pan over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Fry brussels sprouts cut side down for 3- 4 minutes, turn them over and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes. Turn heat down if they are browning too much. Or if they need more browning, cook for another minute or so.
- Remove brussels sprouts to a bowl. Add the butter to the fry pan and melt over medium low heat. Add the chili sauce and seasonings. Cook for another minute and add the brussels back to pan, stirring to coat with the sauce.
- Serve while warm.
*For a low carb option, instead of sweet chili sauce, you can use regular unsweetened chili sauce and some sugar substitute to taste.
*Or for another sweet option, try ¼ cup honey, 1 tablespoon chili powder and ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes.
*Fresh brussel sprouts will keep in your refrigerator for up to a week.
*Store leftovers in refrigerator for 3-4 days or freeze for 3-6 months. To reheat, defrost overnight and stir fry in a pan until hot. They won't be as crispy as freshly cooked.
Keywords: cruciferous vegetables, low carb vegetables