This delicious, healthy side dish is so easy to put together and is ready to serve in about 30 minutes. The squash, zucchini and onions are coated in olive oil, seasoned with lots of fresh herbs and then roasted in the oven. You will love every savory bite!
Why this recipe is just so good...
- Although squash is abundant in summer, they are available year round.
- The flavor of yellow squash and zucchini is fairly neutral which makes them so versatile when you roast them with many different types of spices and seasonings.
- The combination of textures and colors of this dish make it a very pretty presentation. Baking squash in the oven is quick enough for a family weeknight meal but also lovely to serve at a Holiday dinner.
- If you are a veggie lover, you will want to try my Roasted Carrots and Onions, Roasted Asparagus and Carrots or Easy Roasted Vegetables.
- This recipe uses green summer squash (zucchini) and yellow summer squash. Try to purchase the smaller ones since they will have smaller seeds.
- Olive oil and lots of fresh herbs like basil, rosemary, thyme and garlic really add to the Italian flavor. But you can substitute dried herbs in this recipe; amounts given below.
Here are some ideas to get creative or substitute some ingredients:
- Use yellow or white onions instead of red. Or if you want a lighter, fresher flavor, try some scallions or chives.
- If you'd like to add a bit of heat, sprinkle on a ¼-1/2 teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes.
- Some other herbs to try that would be delicious with squash are cilantro, dill or sage.
- To add a slightly sweet, acidic flavor, drizzle a bit of aged balsamic vinegar over the squash.
- A bit of feta, parmesan or mozzarella cheese would add a nutty, salty flavor to the squash.
How to make roasted squash and zucchini?
- Cut squash in approximately ¼ inch thick slices, leaving peel on. Thinly slice onion.
- Combine all vegetables in a bowl and drizzle on the olive oil and sprinkle spices. Stir to mix well.
- Spread out onto a large baking sheet. Line with parchment for easier clean up.
- Roast in a 400°F oven for 10 minutes. Stir and continue to cook another 5 minutes or until tender.
- If you would like the squash a bit crispier, place pan under the broiler for 2 minutes, watching it carefully so they don't burn.
FAQ & Kitchen Tips
According to WebMd, zucchini is a low calorie, low carb and keto vegetable that is full of fiber and vitamins such as A, B6, folate and potassium. A cup of raw zucchini has 62 calories and 6 grams net carbs.
Yes! Pick your own has a very complete article about how to quickly blanch and then freeze squash. The squash will be very mushy after you defrost it. It is perfect for adding to breads, muffins, desserts and casseroles.
- You don't have to peel squash or zucchini. It is fairly thin and softens nicely as it cooks. And the skin has many of the vitamins in the vegetable.
Here are some more healthy side dishes to serve:
If you tried and enjoyed this recipe, I'd love if you come back and leave a comment and a 5 star rating. This tells me what recipes you like and what to see more of. Thank you!Print
Herb Roasted Squash and Zucchini is a healthy side dish that is so easy to put together and is ready to serve in about 30 minutes. The squash and onions are coated in olive oil and seasoned with lots of fresh herbs which gives plenty of flavor to these vegetables.
- 2 small - medium zucchini
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced or 1 teaspoon dried garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment for easy clean up.
- Cut zucchini and squash into ¼ inch thick slices. Thinly slice the onion.
- Combine oil and spices in a bowl and add in the vegetables. Stir well to completely cover them.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Stir and continue baking for another 5 minutes or until tender.
- If you would like the squash and onions a bit crispier, broil them for about 2 minutes. But watch them carefully so they don't burn.
- Serve with some optional chopped parsley over top.
*Leave the peel on the squash. It has the most nutrition and will soften as it cooks.
*Leftover roasted squash and onions can be quickly reheated in a small fry pan for a minute or two.
*Fresh, uncooked squash will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
*You can freeze squash but it will get mushy. But it is perfect to add into baked goods. See the Freeze Your Own website listed above for how to freeze.
Keywords: squash, healthy vegetables, side dish