Julienne Salad, aka Chef's Salad, is a healthy, low carb and keto recipe that includes sliced meats, cheeses and vegetables. It is served with a simple lemon dijon dressing and is quickly put together for lunch or a main meal.
Why this recipe is just so good...
- Julienne Salad is a hearty, low carb and keto meal in a salad. It has tons of different textures and flavors that you will feel good about eating.
- You can make so many substitutions in this salad, using all your favorites. And you can take a shortcut and use deli meat and cheese and bagged lettuce.
- It is quick and easy to put together. This salad is perfect for meal prep or using up leftovers.
What is the difference between a Chef Salad and a Cobb Salad?
Julienne Salad, otherwise known as Chef’s Salad is essentially a salad consisting of hard-boiled eggs, a variety of meats (such as ham, turkey, chicken or roast beef), tomatoes, cucumbers and cheese, all served on a bed of lettuce or other leafy greens. The meats and vegetables are sliced in long, thin strips, about 3 inches, or "julienned". This salad is usually served on a platter and diners serve themselves a plate of salad and some dressing.
A Cobb salad is very similar but will have avocado as well. They are both healthy, delicious salads that can be eaten for lunch or as a main meal. There is no specific dressing that is served with these salads. Creamy dressings such as my Creamy Garlic Dressing or Creamy Balsamic Dressing would be delicious over this salad. Or try my lemon dijon vinaigrette or a wine vinegar which are all tasty choices to top the salads.
Ingredient Notes & Substitions
- We are using peppers, onions, peppers, radishes, celery, carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes for the veggies in this salad.
- Some other options might be to try mushrooms, snow peas and fresh herbs such as basil or parsley.
- This salad has julienned slices of roast beef, turkey and Swiss cheese. I think ham, salami or chicken would be delicious. And try Gouda, Feta, cheddar or parmesan. Hard boiled eggs provide extra protein. You could also add some chickpeas or beans. If you're not counting carbs, croutons would be great too.
- Instead of just Romaine, try a mix of greens like Iceberg or a Spring mix. However, the darker green lettuces are healthier. Livestrong has lots of information on eating healthy greens.
How to make a Julienned Salad
- Here is the beauty of this salad; you just place the lettuce on the bottom of the platter and layer the meats, cheeses and vegetables and herbs on top!
- Make the dressing by mixing the lemon juice, Dijon, spices and oil. Whisk well to combine.
Tips for making Julienne Salad
- Make sure the lettuce is completely dry by using a Salad Spinner or towels to dry off. If you want to prep ahead, put the salad in a zipper style bag with a paper towel, press out the air and store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Keep the dressing separate from the salad to dress when ready to serve. Store in the refrigerator and don't be concerned when the olive oil separates and looks like it is solidifying. Just bring to room temperature for about 20 minutes and give it a good whisk or shake before using.
- You can prep everything ahead and store separately in the refrigerator for a few days. After the salad is put together, it will be best on the same day. Use leftovers within a day or two.
Julienne Salad is a filling meal by itself. Since it's light and healthy, perhaps you would like to finish it with a dessert that is not too rich or heavy. Here are some ideas:
or try a refreshing beverage like my Keto Lemonade.
Try these other healthy salads!
If you made this Julienne Salad recipe and enjoyed it, please come back and give it a 5 star rating. This tells me what recipes everyone likes and wants to see more of. 😁Print
Julienne Salad is a delicious low carb lunch or light dinner. What could be healthier than a platter of sliced meats, cheeses, vegetables and leafy greens? It is simply dressed with a tangy lemon Dijon vinaigrette.
- 4 cups of chopped Romaine lettuce
- 2 stalks celery, julienne sliced
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 large bell pepper, julienned
- 1 red onion, julienned
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 large hardboiled eggs, quartered
- ½ lb. sliced turkey, julienne sliced
- ½ lb. sliced roast beef, julienne sliced
- ½ lb. Swiss cheese, julienne sliced
Lemon Dijon Dressing
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar or sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste or minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dressing- combine the ingredients in a jar or bottle with lid. Shake well, taste for seasoning. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve salad.
- Wash, chop and dry the lettuce. Wash and slice all vegetables.
- Slice the meats and cheeses.
- To serve: Remove dressing from refrigerator and let it warm to room temperature. Shake to mix.
- Place the lettuce on a large platter and layer the veggies, meats and cheeses on top.
- Pass dressing with the salad. Enjoy!
* Make sure lettuce greens and vegetables are dry by using a Salad Spinner or towels before putting salad together. It will stay fresh longer.
* If not serving right away, store the lettuce, vegetables, meats and cheeses in separate containers in the refrigerator.
*Pass the dressing instead of pouring some over the salad when serving. Let everyone decide how much they want on their salad and the greens will stay fresh.
Keywords: Chef Salad, Leafy Green salad, main dish salad