For all coconut lovers, your dream dessert wishes have come true! This keto coconut cream pie is a triple layer of coconut; the crust, filling and whipped cream. It is sweet, it is lusciously creamy and it is richly filling. A small slice will satisfy any craving. Also, being low carb and sugar free, I am assured that it won't send my blood sugar into the stratosphere!
Step by Step Directions
- Begin with the crust: I use the same almond flour crust as my keto pumpkin cheesecake and my keto peanut butter cheesecakes. I just add a little more for the ingredients since I want the crust to come up the side of the pie pan. And I add some unsweetened coconut to the crust for extra flavor.
Next make the sugar free coconut cream pie filling:
- egg yolks
- heavy cream
- unsweetened canned coconut milk
- sugar substitue
- unsweetened coconut flakes
- vanilla and coconut extracts
- xanthan gum
- coconut flour
How to thicken the coconut cream pie filling?
Traditional coconut cream pies are thickened with cornstarch or flour. Since this is a keto dessert, we have to be more creative with our thickening choices. Xanthan gum and a bit of coconut flour works perfectly without the coconut cream tasting pasty.
- Start by adding the egg yolks, cream and coconut milk to a saucepan. Stir well over low to medium heat.
- Whisk in the sugar substitute, butter and extracts. Slowly stir in the xanthan gum and coconut flour. Keeping whisking over low heat. The pudding should NOT boil. You will see it start to thicken into a creamy custard. This could take 10 minutes or so, but the slower the better.
- It is thick enough when the pudding coats a wooden spoon and barely drips off.
- Remove from heat, stir in the coconut flakes. Pour in a medium sized bowl, cover pudding with plastic wrap (touching top) to prevent a skin from forming.
- Let the pudding completely cool before pouring into the baked pie crust.
Now for the topping:
- For the whipped cream, my keto whipped cream is delicious and has a coconut variety that would be perfect for this pie.
- If you'd like to have toasted coconut on top of your pie, I find the easiest way to do it is lightly saute' the coconut in a pan on the stovetop. Just cook on low, stirring constantly and stop just as it starts to turn golden brown. Coconut burns very easily and doesn't taste good.
What can you do with leftover egg whites?
This recipe uses 4 egg yolks and we don't want to waste the whites. If you're not planning on adding them to an omelette or scrambled eggs for breakfast, you can also use them to make an angel food cake or meringue. Also, according to Allrecipes, you can freeze egg whites. Just freeze them in ice cube trays and then store in freezer bags or air tight containers. Genius!
How to store the pie?
- This pie needs to be stored in the refrigerator. If you plan on serving it within a few hours, you can leave it uncovered. If there are any leftovers, cover with plastic wrap, keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- I have never frozen a cream or custard pie but according to can you freeze this, it can be done with some precautions. It is preferable to freeze the cooled pie crust and filling separately. Then defrost overnight in the refrigerator. A fully made pie can be frozen double wrapped with aluminum foil and placed in a plastic bag.
If you try this pie, please let me know if you loved it. 😊
Some other desserts to try:Print
This sweet and lusciously creamy keto coconut pie is a special dessert. Coconut lovers will adore the triple layer of coconut in this recipe.
- 2 cups sifted fine almond flour
- 5 TB sugar substitute
- 5 TB melted butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
Coconut Cream Filling:
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 (14 oz) can of unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 TB butter
- 1 cup sugar substitute (I used monkfruit/Swerve combination)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsps. coconut flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 TB powdered sugar substitute ( I used Monkfruit)
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2 TB unsweetened coconut for topping
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 9" pie plate (preferably glass) with baking spray.
- In a food processor or mixer, combine the butter and almond flour. Mix well.
- Add in the sugar substitute, cinnamon. Lighty stir in the coconut.
- Press into the pie plate going up the sides. Smooth out the bottom and sides so that the dough is evenly spread out.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let cool while you make the filling.
- Filling- In a saucepan on the stovetop, add the egg yolks, cream and coconut milk. Heat on low heat and stir well to combine.
- Add in the sugar substitute, butter and extracts. Continue to heat cream mixture while slowly stirring in the xanthan gum and coconut flour. Whisk mixture well while cooking. It will slowly start to thicken. It should not boil. I stirred the pudding for about 10 minutes.*
- Remove from heat, stir in coconut.
- Pour into a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap , (touching the top of pudding) and let cool.
- When it has fully cooled, pour into pie crust. Smooth top of pie.
- Topping- Beat the heavy cream, sweetener and coconut extract until cream is forming medium stiff peaks. The whipped cream should not slide off the beaters.
- Spread the whipped cream smoothly on top of pie. You can also pipe some cream around the edges.
- Sprinkle coconut flakes (toasted if preferred) on top.
* Constantly stirring the cream mixture is really the secret to preventing lumps and getting a smooth, creamy coconut pudding. Don't walk away while cooking and slowly keep stirring until you see that it is thickened.
**If you want to use toasted coconut, sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of unsweetened coconut in a saute' pan. Stir on low heat for a few minutes. Remove from heat just when the coconut begins to look golden. Watch the coconut carefully as it can burn if cooked too long.
***Store in refrigerator for up to 5 days
Keywords: Sugar free Coconut Cream Pie, Low carb pudding dessert, keto coconut cream