This sweet and lusciously creamy keto coconut pie is a special dessert. Coconut lovers will adore the triple layer of coconut in this recipe.
- 2 cups sifted fine almond flour
- 5 TB sugar substitute
- 5 TB melted butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
Coconut Cream Filling:
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 (14 oz) can of unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 TB butter
- 1 cup sugar substitute (I used monkfruit/Swerve combination)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsps. coconut flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 TB powdered sugar substitute ( I used Monkfruit)
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2 TB unsweetened coconut for topping
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 9″ pie plate (preferably glass) with baking spray.
- In a food processor or mixer, combine the butter and almond flour. Mix well.
- Add in the sugar substitute, cinnamon. Lighty stir in the coconut.
- Press into the pie plate going up the sides. Smooth out the bottom and sides so that the dough is evenly spread out.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let cool while you make the filling.
- Filling- In a saucepan on the stovetop, add the egg yolks, cream and coconut milk. Heat on low heat and stir well to combine.
- Add in the sugar substitute, butter and extracts. Continue to heat cream mixture while slowly stirring in the xanthan gum and coconut flour. Whisk mixture well while cooking. It will slowly start to thicken. It should not boil. I stirred the pudding for about 10 minutes.*
- Remove from heat, stir in coconut.
- Pour into a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap , (touching the top of pudding) and let cool.
- When it has fully cooled, pour into pie crust. Smooth top of pie.
- Topping– Beat the heavy cream, sweetener and coconut extract until cream is forming medium stiff peaks. The whipped cream should not slide off the beaters.
- Spread the whipped cream smoothly on top of pie. You can also pipe some cream around the edges.
- Sprinkle coconut flakes (toasted if preferred) on top.
* Constantly stirring the cream mixture is really the secret to preventing lumps and getting a smooth, creamy coconut pudding. Don’t walk away while cooking and slowly keep stirring until you see that it is thickened.
**If you want to use toasted coconut, sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of unsweetened coconut in a saute’ pan. Stir on low heat for a few minutes. Remove from heat just when the coconut begins to look golden. Watch the coconut carefully as it can burn if cooked too long.
***Store in refrigerator for up to 5 days
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Keto Coconut Cream Pie