This creamy homemade garlic dressing is so easy to make. It pairs beautifully with this red leaf lettuce salad. After you taste how fresh and flavorful it is, you may never return to bottled dressing again!
Why this recipe is just so good....
- There is no doubt that this is a garlic recipe. We are using 3-4 cloves, but if you'd like it milder, then only use 1 or 2.
- The dressing is ready in about 5 minutes. When we go to the trouble of making a fresh, healthy salad, it is so easy to also enjoy a homemade low carb and keto friendly dressing as well.
- Did you know beef and chicken taste fantastic with a mayonnaise-based marinade? LA Times talks about this unusual, but delicious way to grill your meat.
- This recipe calls for shredding some cheese from a wedge of Parmigiano Reggiano. Don't skimp on this ingredient; there is so much more flavor in a wedge of cheese rather than from a jar or can.
- You can use full fat or lower fat mayonnaise. I have used both and did not notice a difference in creaminess. The full fat version is preferable for those following a keto diet.
- The rice wine and white wine vinegars are a bit sweeter and less acidic. But if you don't have these, you can use regular white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- There is just a few teaspoons of sugar in the recipe. For a low carb, keto option, use a substitutue like Monkfruit or Swerve. You can use another brand or choose regular granulated sugar.
Step by Step Directions
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and whisk well so that everything is mixed together.
- I used a mini food processor and it did the job really quickly. If you do use a blender or processor, only blend for 30 seconds to a minute or the mayonnaise's texture will change.
While I do love vinaigrettes such as my Lemon Dijon Dressing, creamy dressings are my favorite. This is a perfect dressing to spoon over a beautiful red leaf lettuce salad. It is such a flavorful dressing, you don't need a lot on top of the salad. And it is so rich and thick, no worries about soggy vegetables. It would also be a delicious dip for raw or cooked vegetables.
Another favorite creamy dressing is Creamy Balsamic. It has just enough tang from the vinegar and garlic, but is smoothed out by the mayonnaise and a bit of sugar.
For some other delicious salads, try these recipes.
If you try and enjoy this recipe, I'd love if you rate and/or comment below. This lets me know what type of recipes you'd like to see more of.Print
Creamy Garlic Dressing
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 1 hour refrigerate:
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
Fresh, homemade creamy garlic dressing is the perfect topping to a healthy salad. This recipe is so quick and easy to make, you will always want homemade dressing.
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup half and half (or milk)
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, finely grated or minced
- 2 tablespoons rice or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar or sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and use a whisk to mix well.
- You can use a processor or blender but only process for 30-60 seconds. Mixing too long will change the texture of the mayonnaise.
- For the best flavor, refrigerate the dressing for about an hour before serving.
- Store leftover dressing in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
*For a low carb/keto option, you can substitute the regular sugar for Monkfruit or Swerve.
**The rice wine and white wine vinegar are a bit sweeter and less acidic in this recipe. But you can substitute them for white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
***Rather than finely mince your garlic, try grating the cloves and the garlic will be more like a paste.
****If you would like a thinner dressing, just add an additional tablespoon or two of half and half or milk.
Keywords: Condiment, Marinade, Salad Dressing
Leave a Reply