This easy 4 bean vegetable salad is a fresh and filling meal that is perfect year round. It is filled with a variety of fiber filled beans, crunchy vegetables and a tangy lemon balsamic dressing.
What type of beans can be used?
This bean salad is so versatile because you can use many different beans and they will all be delicious. I used canned beans since it is so much easier to put together than cooking package beans.
- black beans- mild and slightly sweet; these are a great source of protein and fiber
- kidney beans-dark red kidney beans are also full of protein, omega 3 and iron
- garbanzo (chickpeas)-soft and buttery garbanzo beans are starchy in texture and very high in protein
- green beans- I used garden fresh beans since I had an abundance at the time. But you can used canned or frozen beans.
- You can also try pinto beans, navy, great northern and cannellini beans.
How do you make 4 Bean Vegetable Salad?
- The liquid in canned beans is mostly starch and salt. It is best to remove this as it will also help with digestion. Drain and rinse each can of beans. Draining the beans will also help remove any metallic taste from canned beans.
- Trim and cut string beans in half. Cook in salted boiling water for about 3 minutes. They should should be crisp-tender. Drain in cold water.
- Mix beans and vegetables together and set aside.
- To make the vinaigrette mix the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar substitute. Whisk in the olive oil until it is fulled mixed into the balsamic vinegar mixture.
- Pour over salad and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Add chopped parsley before serving.
I'd love to know if you have made any of these salads. Please leave a comment below! 😊Print
This easy and healthy 4 bean vegetable salad is perfect for lunch or dinner. It is dressed with a lemony balsamic vinaigrette. You will love this salad all year long.
- (1) 15 oz. can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- (1) 15 oz. can black beans, drained, rinsed
- (1) 15 oz. can garbanzo (chickpeas) drained, rinsed
- ½ lb. green beans, trimmed & halved
- 1 small English (seedless) cucumber, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
Lemon Balsamic Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar substitute
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- juice of 1 lemon or about 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the green beans for about 3 minutes to crisp tender. Drain and put beans in cold water for a few minutes to stop cooking. Drain again to prepare for the salad
- Add all the beans and vegetables in a large bowl, mix together.
- Make the vinaigrette- in a large mixing bowl or a shaker cup mix the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, sugar substitute, garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle in the olive oil stirring or shaking it quickly until fully mixed together.
- Pour over salad and keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- To avoid wilting, add the chopped parsley before serving.
- Make sure to drain and rinse the canned beans.
- The salad will need some time to marinate the flavors together. Keep in refrigerator at least an hour before serving.
- I have added grilled boneless chicken to this salad for dinner. Perfect when you don't want to use your oven.
- The salad will keep up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: 4 Bean Vegetable Salad