This delicious low carb maple pecan butternut squash is a perfect side dish for family dinners or Holiday meals. You will love the sweet, nutty flavor of this squash that is also so healthy and loaded with vitamins and antioxidants.
How to choose and prepare butternut squash?
When you choose your butternut squash, look for those that are not greenish, but a creamy peachy, beige color. They should feel hard and heavy for it's weight. When you knock on it, like a watermelon it should sound hollow. That will ensure the squash will be ripe.
To prepare the squash, I find the easiest way is to use a sharp knife and cut the squash in half. Then slice the bottom of each half so that it stands up straight. Use a peeler or a knife to remove the outer layer. Then use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. You can also roast the seeds in the oven for a tasty snack. Cut the squash into approximately 1 inch pieces.
Heat a saucepan of lightly salted water to boiling. Cook the squash on medium heat for about 10 minutes. You will just begin to smell the squash cooking and it will have texture of chopped cantaloupe. The squash should be just tender, not too soft. Drain the squash.
How to make low carb maple pecan butternut squash?
Make a simple syrup by melting the butter and adding pecans, sugar substitute, maple syrup and orange juice. Stir and bring syrup to a light bubbling boil. Lower heat to simmer. Put cooked squash in the pan and stir to fully coat. Cook on low for another few minutes.
Is butternut squash healthy?
This sweet and nutty fruit is filled with vitamins, fiber and antioxidants. We can enjoy the butternut squash in this low carb side dish by using sugar substitutes. The flavors combine to make a syrupy coating and enhances the flavor of the squash but doesn't overwhelm it with too much sweetness.
You may want to try my Roasted Vegetables too. They would be another delicious side dish to compliment any meal.Print
Low Carb Maple Pecan Butternut Squash
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
This delicious low carb maple pecan butternut squash recipe is a healthy side dish for family dinners or Holidays.
- 1 ½ lbs. Butternut squash, peeled seeded and diced
- 2 TB butter
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 TB sugar substitute brown sugar ( I used Swerve)
- 1 TB sugar free maple syrup ( I used Lakanto)
- 1 TB orange juice
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- In a large pot, fill ⅔ with water and ½ teaspoon salt and bring to boil.
- Put butternut squash in boiling water and lower heat to low/medium and lightly boil for about 10 minutes, until just tender. Drain well.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and add the pecans, brown sugar, maple syrup and orange juice. Cook on low simmer until it starts to bubble and thicken. Add the ¼ cup of water if too thick.
- Add the drained butternut squash and gently stir into the syrup. Stir and cook the squash on low heat for another 5 minutes, making sure all the squash is covered in the sweetened butter syrup.
- You can prepare the squash a day ahead. Store the cubed squash in the refrigerator.
- Leftover cooked squash can be frozen up to 6 months. After defrosting, the cubed squash will be soft. Just mash them and serve as a tasty side dish.
Keywords: Low Carb Maple Pecan Butternut Squash
Leave a Reply