This delicious low carb maple pecan butternut squash recipe is a healthy side dish for family dinners or Holidays.
- 1 1/2 lbs. Butternut squash, peeled seeded and diced
- 2 TB butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 TB sugar substitute brown sugar ( I used Swerve)
- 1 TB sugar free maple syrup ( I used Lakanto)
- 1 TB orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large pot, fill 2/3 with water and 1/2 tsp salt and bring to boil.
- Put butternut squash in boiling water and lower heat to low/medium and lightly boil for about 10 minutes, until just tender. Drain well.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and add the pecans, brown sugar, maple syrup and orange juice. Cook on low simmer until it starts to bubble and thicken. Add the 1/4 cup of water if too thick.
- Add the drained butternut squash and gently stir into the syrup. Stir and cook the squash on low heat for another 5 minutes, making sure all the squash is covered in the sweetened butter syrup.
- You can prepare the squash a day ahead. Store the cubed squash in the refrigerator.
- Leftover cooked squash can be frozen up to 6 months. After defrosting, the cubed squash will be soft. Just mash them and serve as a tasty side dish.
Keywords: Low Carb Maple Pecan Butternut Squash