Roasted Carrots and Onions are baked with a tangy and zesty marinade. The garlic and herb flavors will take this from a simple vegetable recipe to a very flavorful side dish. It is perfect for either a family dinner or served to company.
Why this recipe is just so good...
- The tangy, zesty marinade is made from ingredients you probably already have at home. It takes roasted vegetables to a whole new level of flavor! The marinade also offers a lot of adaptable choices with different herbs that are delicious substitutions for ingredients in this recipe.
- These roasted carrots and onions are so quick to prepare and will easily be ready when the rest of your meal is. You can adjust the oven temperature to accommodate whatever else you are cooking alongside.
- Even though it is a simple, healthy recipe for a weeknight family meal, it has a beautiful and very colorful presentation if you plan to serve as a company dinner.
- Rainbow carrots were used in this recipe. If you aren't able to purchase these or prefer not to, you can use regular carrots. If given a choice, I always try to use produce in season. Seasonal Food Guide provides a simple searchable site to find out when produce is available in your area. Also, the USDA website has a very informative site on seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- The marinade in this recipe is very adaptable. Some other herbs and spices you can use as substitutions are: celery seed, coriander, dill, fennel seeds, mustard seed or dijon mustard, tarrragon and for some extra zest, you can add a bit of red pepper flakes. Any of these go well with carrots. Feel free to experiment but I always encourage taste testing as you go. In many cases, if a little is good in a recipe, then a lot may not be better.
- If you'd like a bit of extra crunch, add some slivered almonds, sesame or sunflower seeds. I would add them during the last 5-10 minutes of roasting so they don't burn. Or add them raw, after cooking.
Step by Step Directions:
- Slice large carrots in half lengthwise, leaving smaller carrots whole. Cut onions into chunks.
- Combine ingredients for the marinade.
- Pour marinade over vegetables and stir with tongs to make sure they are fully coated with marinade.
- Roast in the oven on a parchment lined baking sheet for 30-45 minutes, depending on how crunchy or caramelized you prefer. Stir the vegetables halfway through cooking and brush with the marinade.
- You don't have to peel the carrots as long as you give them a good scrub before cooking.
- Always try to cut the carrots in similar size and thickness to ensure even cooking. Some of the largest carrots may need to be be sliced thinner than others and some may remain whole if they are thinner.
- You can roast the vegetables at a lower temperature if you are cooking your main dish at the same time. Just allow for increased time to roast.
- If you prefer the vegetables more browned and caramelized, you can place them directly on the baking sheets without the parchment. The heat of the unlined pan will be enhanced and your vegetables will be more crispy. You will know the vegetables are cooked through if a fork can cut a piece off of the carrot very easily. Always check at the least time stated and cook longer if needed.
If you tried and loved this recipe, I would appreciate if you give it a rating or comment. This tells me that you enjoyed it and would like more recipes like it. 😊
Some other vegetable recipes you may want to try:
Low Carb Maple Butternut Squash
Low Carb Sweet Carrot CasserolePrint
Roasted Carrots and Onions
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Roasted Carrots and onions are baked with a garlic and herb marinade. It is so tangy and zesty that it changes simple vegetables to a special side dish for any meal.
- 7-8 large carrots, peeled. Slice the larger carrots lengthwise. Leave the smaller carrots whole. *
- 1 large red onion peeled cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (about 2-3 sprigs)**
- 1 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (about 2 sprigs)**
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white or rice wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine the herb marinade, stirring well.
- In a large bowl, place carrots and onions and pour marinade over and stir to make sure all vegetables are coated with marinade.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and place vegetables on pan. **
- Roast for 20 minutes, stir vegetables and brush with more marinade. Continue roasting until the carrots are soft enough for a fork easily pierce through.
* You can purchase regular carrots or the rainbow version. Both are delicious in this recipe. The rainbow carrots tend to be smaller so you may need a few more for serving.
**Substitute ½ teaspoon of thyme and/or rosemary for the fresh herbs.
***If you prefer your vegetables more browned and caramelized, don't line the baking sheet with anything. Just put vegetables directly on the pan and roast.
Keywords: root vegetables, seasonal produce, healthy side dish
Leave a Reply