This low carb sweet carrot casserole is a delicious cross between a side dish and a souffle'-like dessert. Either way, it is a healthy, keto-friendly recipe that will be easy to serve at a family or Holiday dinner.
Are carrots low carb & keto-friendly?
My family loves traditions and they especially love traditions that involve delicious food. During the Holidays, no one is usually following a diet or watching their calories. I am always looking for ways to 'ketofy' or lower the carbs of a recipe that still tastes delicious.
According to Healthline, carrots can be eaten on a low carb and keto diet. They have about 4 net carbs per medium carrot. They are more starchy than typical green, leafy vegetables, but do not have as many carbs as other root vegetables such as sweet potatoes. A simple recipe to also try is my Roasted Carrots and Onions.
This low carb carrot casserole is based on my sister's sweet potato souffle' that she always makes during the Holidays. I hope I did it justice.
What ingredients are needed?
- carrots- peeled, cut into 1" pieces
- sugar substitute
- milk or half and half or cream
- salt, cinnamon, ginger
How to make low carb sweet carrot casserole?
- After washing and peeling carrots, place the 1" pieces into a medium saucepan of boiling, salted water.
- Cook on medium heat for approximately 20 minutes. You want the carrots to be fork tender, meaning if you press into the carrot, it breaks in half easily. Drain well.
- Then it's so easy to finish! Just place all of the ingredients into a food processor or high-powered blender. Process/blend until carrots are smooth textured and all ingredients are combined.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 30-35 minutes until set.
Some helpful tips for making carrot casserole...
- Make sure the carrots are fully cooked before you blend them. If they are under done, the texture of the casserole will not be as smooth.
- You can prep and cook the carrots ahead of time and store in refrigerator until you are ready to put the rest of the casserole together.
- Fresh carrots work best in this recipe, but you can substitute frozen or canned if you like. The canned carrots won't need to be cooked, but the frozen carrots will. Be sure to drain them well before blending.
If you tried and enjoyed this recipe, please let me know in the comments below. 😊. Some other vegetable dishes you may like:Print
This low carb sweet carrot casserole is a cross beteen a side dish and a souffle'-like dessert. Either way, it is a healthy, keto-friendly recipe that is easy to serve for your family or Holiday dinner.
- 6 large carrots- washed, peeled, cut into 1" pieces
- ¾ cup sugar substitute
- ½ cup milk, half and half or cream
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash, peel and cut carrots into 1" pieces
- Place in a medium saucepan of boiling water.
- Cook on medium heat for approximatley 20 minutes or until carrots are fork tender. (able to easily break in half with fork) Drain well.
- Put cooked carrots and the rest of ingredients into a food processor or high powered blender.
- Process/blend until carrots are smooth and all ingredients are mixed together.
- Use some non stick baking spray to lightly coat a casserole dish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until set.
- Make sure your carrots are completely cooked before blending to ensure a smooth texture. Carrots are a naturally grainy root vegetable so they take a bit longer to cook than others.
- You can use cup-for-cup measurement of regular granular sugar if you'd prefer not making this recipe low carb.
- I would consider this casserole to be on the medium level of sweetness. The original recipe of sweet potatoes used more sugar. You can add another ¼-1/2 cup of sugar substitute/sugar to make it sweeter. Always taste first before adding more sugar or salt. It's always easier to add more of something than try to fix it if you added too much. 😊
Keywords: Keto Carrot Souffle, Low Carb Creamy Carrot Casserole,