Roasted Carrots and onions are baked with a garlic and herb marinade. It is so tangy and zesty that it changes simple vegetables to a special side dish for any meal.
- 7-8 large carrots, peeled. Slice the larger carrots lengthwise. Leave the smaller carrots whole. *
- 1 large red onion peeled cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (about 2-3 sprigs)**
- 1 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (about 2 sprigs)**
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white or rice wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine the herb marinade, stirring well.
- In a large bowl, place carrots and onions and pour marinade over and stir to make sure all vegetables are coated with marinade.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and place vegetables on pan. **
- Roast for 20 minutes, stir vegetables and brush with more marinade. Continue roasting until the carrots are soft enough for a fork easily pierce through.
* You can purchase regular carrots or the rainbow version. Both are delicious in this recipe. The rainbow carrots tend to be smaller so you may need a few more for serving.
**Substitute 1/2 teaspoon of thyme and/or rosemary for the fresh herbs.
***If you prefer your vegetables more browned and caramelized, don't line the baking sheet with anything. Just put vegetables directly on the pan and roast.
Keywords: root vegetables, seasonal produce, healthy side dish