Herb Roasted Squash and Zucchini is a healthy side dish that is so easy to put together and is ready to serve in about 30 minutes. The squash and onions are coated in olive oil and seasoned with lots of fresh herbs which gives plenty of flavor to these vegetables.
- 2 small - medium zucchini
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced or 1 teaspoon dried garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment for easy clean up.
- Cut zucchini and squash into 1/4 inch thick slices. Thinly slice the onion.
- Combine oil and spices in a bowl and add in the vegetables. Stir well to completely cover them.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Stir and continue baking for another 5 minutes or until tender.
- If you would like the squash and onions a bit crispier, broil them for about 2 minutes. But watch them carefully so they don't burn.
- Serve with some optional chopped parsley over top.
*Leave the peel on the squash. It has the most nutrition and will soften as it cooks.
*Leftover roasted squash and onions can be quickly reheated in a small fry pan for a minute or two.
*Fresh, uncooked squash will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
*You can freeze squash but it will get mushy. But it is perfect to add into baked goods. See the Freeze Your Own website listed above for how to freeze.
Keywords: squash, healthy vegetables, side dish