An easy week night dinner starts with these bratwurst sausages cooked in your Instant Pot. They are seasoned and sautéed’ and then simmered in a sweet and savory sauerkraut. Serve them on mashed cauliflower for a delicious low carb meal.
- 1 TB. butter
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 package of (5) bratwurst links ( I used Johnsonville)*
- 2 tsps. bbq. seasoning of choice ( I used McCormick BBQ bourbon)
- 1 (16 oz.) package of sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup Swerve brown sugar substitute
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. celery seed or celery salt
- Turn Instant Pot to saute’ setting.
- Sprinkle bbq seasoning on brats.
- Into the Instant Pot, add the butter, red onion slices and bratwursts.
- Saute’ for 5 minutes, until bratwurst are browned. Do not pierce the brats with a fork or knife. Just turn them with tongs until all sides are browned.
- Combine sauerkraut (with liquid), vinegar, brown sugar substitute, celery seed and mustard. Pour over the bratwurst and onions.
- Put lid on Instant Pot and turn nozzle to SEALING.
- Set it to the manual setting on High pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- When timer goes off, do a quick release to VENTING on the nozzle. It should take about 3 minutes or so. **(There will be steam so take extra precautions when moving the nozzle. Serve brats, sauerkraut and onions over mashed cauliflower.
*You can use a long wooden spoon wrapped in a kitchen towel to move the nozzle from sealing to venting.
**Johnsonville brats are fully cooked and ready for any menu. Brats should be cooked to 160°F.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: German
Keywords: Instant Pot Brats