Instant Pot brats are the start of an easy weeknight meal. They are simmered with onions, seasonings and sweet and savory sauerkraut. Serve them on mashed cauliflower with mustard and sautéed red cabbage for a delicious healthy, low carb meal.
What ingredients are needed for brats recipe?
- red onion
- package of pre-cooked bratwurst (5 links)
- apple cider vinegar
- sauerkraut (try to get refrigerator package)
- brown sugar substitute
- bbq seasonings
- celery seed/salt, dry mustard
How to cooks brats in the Instant Pot?
- Season brats with bbq seasoning.
- Turn Instant pot to saute' setting.
- Add butter and saute' onions and brats until browned
- Combine celery salt, dry mustard, sauerkraut, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar substitute. Pour over brats and onions.
- Set Instant pot to sealing, change setting to manual for 10 minutes.
- Using long tongs or wooden spoon, do a quick release to venting for 3 minutes.
Can frozen brats be cooked in the Instant Pot? Yes, unlike the slow cooker, the Instant Pot will quickly thaw foods and bring up to temperature for the recipe. However, if you use frozen brats, just add 2 minutes to the manual cooking time.
Shoud I poke holes or pierce the brats while cooking? No, the cooked brats don't need to be pierced and will become too dry if you do.
What temperature should bratwurst be cooked to? According to Johnsonville , brats should be cooked to 160°F.
Can I eat brats that still have a little pink in them? Most brands of bratwurst that are sold in packages in the meat section are fully cooked. However, as long as you cook the brats to the minimum temperature of 160°F. they are safe to eat.
How long can brats be stored in the refrigerator? The USDA states that brats will stay fresh in the refrigerator unopened, for up to 2 weeks. After the package has been opened, store for up to one week. For longer storage, you can freeze brats for 1 -2 months in an airtight container.
You'll want to try these Instant Pot recipes!Print
An easy week night dinner starts with these bratwurst sausages cooked in your Instant Pot. They are seasoned and sautéed' and then simmered in a sweet and savory sauerkraut. Serve them on mashed cauliflower for a delicious low carb meal.
- 1 TB. butter
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 package of (5) bratwurst links ( I used Johnsonville)*
- 2 tsps. bbq. seasoning of choice ( I used McCormick BBQ bourbon)
- 1 (16 oz.) package of sauerkraut
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup Swerve brown sugar substitute
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. celery seed or celery salt
- Turn Instant Pot to saute' setting.
- Sprinkle bbq seasoning on brats.
- Into the Instant Pot, add the butter, red onion slices and bratwursts.
- Saute' for 5 minutes, until bratwurst are browned. Do not pierce the brats with a fork or knife. Just turn them with tongs until all sides are browned.
- Combine sauerkraut (with liquid), vinegar, brown sugar substitute, celery seed and mustard. Pour over the bratwurst and onions.
- Put lid on Instant Pot and turn nozzle to SEALING.
- Set it to the manual setting on High pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- When timer goes off, do a quick release to VENTING on the nozzle. It should take about 3 minutes or so. **(There will be steam so take extra precautions when moving the nozzle. Serve brats, sauerkraut and onions over mashed cauliflower.
*You can use a long wooden spoon wrapped in a kitchen towel to move the nozzle from sealing to venting.
**Johnsonville brats are fully cooked and ready for any menu. Brats should be cooked to 160°F.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: German
Keywords: Instant Pot Brats