Instant Pot steak fajitas are the perfect meal to serve as a weeknight dinner or to company. You won't spend alot of time prepping and they can be eaten simply or fancy, depending on the toppings you serve with them.
What type of beef to use for steak fajitas?
Most fajita recipes recommend using flank or skirt steak. Skirt steak is a bit tougher cut of beef, but either will work. Both cuts of beef do very well quickly seared or barbecued. They also absorb the flavors of marinades and seasonings and have little fat on them so are leaner cuts of beef.
How to get tender slices of steak?
The most important technique of slicing either types of meat is to do so "against the grain". What this means is if you have the beef facing you vertically and see the long lines going down the meat, that is the "grain". Turn the beef horizontally and slice it that way, against or opposite the grain. You will be cutting into the little strips of muscle and that will ensure a tender slice of beef.
How to make Instant Pot steak fajitas?
- Slice flank steak against the grain into 3" long pieces.
- Combine spices. You can add more chili powder and paprika if you like your fajitas a bit spicier. Or reduce some if you like them milder.
- Cut peppers and onion into strips and cut tomatoes in half.
- Use the saute' button on the Instant Pot to briefly brown the beef in the olive oil.
- Hit cancel and add all the rest of the ingredients into the Instant Pot. Press pressure cook for 10 minutes. Make sure it's set to 'sealing'.
- Let Instant Pot come to a natural release for 5 minutes.
- Switch over to venting (carefully, see note below). Release the rest of the steam.
How to serve the Instant Pot Steak Fajitas as a low carb meal?
Now, look at that juicy beef and colorful veggies. I could eat them plain as is, straight from the Instant Pot. But they are usually served in a tortilla and thankfully there are plenty of low carb tortillas to choose from.
You can also add any of these low carb toppings: avocado, sour cream, guacamole, salsa or shredded cheese. Serve it all over mashed cauliflower or cauliflower rice. That is a very filling, healthy, low carb meal!
Do you love beef and peppers? Try my Skillet Pepper Steak and Onions.
If you tried this recipe, please let me know how you liked it in the comments below. 😊Print
Instant Pot Steak Fajitas
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
These tender beef flank steak fajitas are a quick and delicious meal cooked in your Instant Pot. Combine beef, veggies and some flavorful seasonings and dinner is ready in about 30 minutes. Leftovers, if you have any, are even tastier the next day!
- 2 lbs. Flank steak, sliced in thin strips * see note
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 TB chili powder
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 8-10 cherry tomatos
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ cup beef broth
- 2 TB worchestire sauce
- Slice the flank steak against the grain into thin strips, about 3 inches long. Combine all the spices in a bowl, add steak and stir to coat steak.
- Add olive oil to instant pot and set to saute'. Add in sliced onion and cook for 2 minutes so that the onion begins to brown and caramelize. Add the sliced beef and cook for about 3 minutes. The steak will brown but it won't be fully cooked yet. Press cancel on the instant pot.
- Put the remaining vegetables, broth and worchestire sauce into instant pot. Make sure the instant pot is set to 'sealing'. Press high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the instant pot is done and beeps, turn it off and let it do a natural release for 5 minutes. When the instant pot is finished, carefully change the sealing setting to "venting". (Use a long handled spoon to avoid remaining steam). ** see note
- When instant pot is done venting the steam, the lid will be able to be opened. Serve fajita steak and veggies on your choice of tortillas, mashed or riced cauliflower.
*Take note of how to slice the flank steak in post above. It will make the differene between tender or tough beef.
**Be very careful when changing the setting to venting. I use a long handled wooden spoon and just lightly tap the dial incrementally until all the steam is released.
Keywords: Instant Pot Steak Fajitas
Leave a Reply