A nutrious soup made with healthy red peppers and sweet potatoes. You can make it a bit heartier and control the spiciness by adding cooked sausages and some red pepper flakes.
- 8 breakfast sausage links *
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3-4 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- parmesan cheese
- Saute the sausages until they are fully cooked. Chop into bite sizes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil and sauce the onions and garlic until onions are slightly carmelized, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and saute until lightly browned.
- Add the vegetable broth, bay leaves, sweet potatoes and spices. Bring to boil and then simmer for approximately 30 minutes when vegetables are softened.
- Take out the bay leaves and sausages. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can let the soup cool and then puree in a blender or food processor. Put sausages back into soup and enjoy with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
*You can use sweet Italian sausage or spicy sausage, whichever you prefer.
*This soup freezes well. Just cool completely and put in freezer safe containers.
Keywords: Red Pepper & Sweet Potato with Sausages Soup