This red pepper and sweet potato with sausage soup was created thanks to a mistake on a recent food home delivery. I ordered 3 peppers and had a huge bag charged and delivered instead. So in the spirit of making lemonade out of lemons, I made stuffed peppers for dinner and this soup for the freezer!
Recently I have become much more choosier about the foods we are eating. I’ve read so many articles about foods that heal and improve our overall health. While researching these vegetables I learned so much. I can tell you this, I will only purchase red over green peppers in the future!
What are the health benefits of red bell peppers & sweet potatoes?
- Red bell peppers are just ripened green peppers but have so many nutrients in them.
- I had no idea about this fact, but they have 200% of our daily recommended Vitamin C. That is huge!!
- Red peppers are packed with antioxidants and lycopene which according to WebMD, may help protect cells from damage.
- Because they are high in vitamin A, red peppers help support healthy night vision.
- Sweet potatoes are another vegetable that gets a huge boost of vitamin A. They are also high in vitamin C.
- The fiber and antioxidants in sweet potatoes help improve our gut health.
- Since we all need vitamin A to help support a healthy immune system, these vegetables are rich sources and we should try to include them in our diets.
What are the ingredients in red pepper & sweet potato with sausage soup?
- olive oil
- red bell peppers
- sweet potatoes
- sausages (optional)
- vegetable broth
- bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- parmesan cheese
How to make red pepper & sweet potato soup?
- You will sauté the sausages, if using, until no longer pink and cooked through.
- Heat the oil and sauté the garlic and onion until onion begins to lightly brown. Add in the red peppers and cook until they also slightly brown.
- Add the vegetable broth, bay leaves, spices, butter and sweet potato and cook for another 30 minutes until all vegetables are soft.
- Remove the bay leaves and sausages and use an immersion blender to puree the soup to your desired consistency. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can let the soup cool and use a regular blender or food processor and lightly pulse the soup.
We like the soup to have a bit of texture so I didn’t puree it totally smooth. This red pepper & sweet potato soup would be delicious with a grilled cheese sandwich, but always with parmesan cheese on top.Print
A nutrious soup made with healthy red peppers and sweet potatoes. You can make it a bit heartier and control the spiciness by adding cooked sausages and some red pepper flakes.
- 8 breakfast sausage links,(what I had on hand), sautéed until fully cooked and cut into bite size pieces – (you can use Italian sausage)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3–4 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- parmesan cheese
- Saute the sausages until they are fully cooked. Chop into bite sizes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil and sauce the onions and garlic until onions are slightly carmelized, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and saute until lightly browned.
- Add the vegetable broth, bay leaves, sweet potatoes and spices. Bring to boil and then simmer for approximately 30 minutes when vegetables are softened.
- Take out the bay leaves and sausages. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can let the soup cool and then puree in a blender or food processor. Put sausages back into soup and enjoy with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
*This soup freezes well. Just cool completely and put in freezer safe containers.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: Red Pepper & Sweet Potato with Sausages Soup
Recipe inspired by Food.com