This slow cooker Manhattan clam chowder is so hearty and filled with chunky bites of vegetables and clams, we find ourselves asking is it a soup, a stew, or a chowder? Whatever you call it, it tastes like a rich, tomatoey, savory, seafood delight! Make a huge batch and freeze the leftovers to enjoy on a cold winter's night.
Why this recipe is just so good.....
- This Manhattan red clam chowder could not be easier to make. After the veggies are chopped, it is literally all just dumped into your Crock Pot. The hardest part is waiting for the soup to be done!
- Since this recipe freezes so well, I love to make a huge batch and freeze the extra chowder. The flavors meld together even more after they have been reheated so no one will complain about leftovers!
- Manhattan style clam chowder means it is tomato based and we are using canned diced tomatoes. But you can use some fresh chopped tomatoes as well. Or add in a can of tomato paste if you prefer a stronger tomato flavor.
- This recipe uses frozen chopped clams. You can also use canned chopped clams.
- Soups and chowders are perfect recipes to get creative. You can substitute the bacon with chopped ham, pancetta, turkey bacon or sausage if you prefer.
- For a low carb version of this chowder, leave out the potatoes and corn and add in parsnip, turnip, rutabaga or cabbage.
- If you would like a little spiciness in the chowder, add a couple of drops of hot sauce or a few shakes of red pepper flakes.
How to make this soup
- Chop the potatoes, celery and carrots into similar sized pieces so that they are done at the same time.
- Saute' the bacon with the onions until the bacon is crisp and the onions are light brown. Drain the bacon fat except one tablespoon for flavoring in the recipe.
- Pour the broth, tomatoes, seasonings in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are cooked through. Or cook on high for 2-3 hours. Add in the clams and broth and cook an additional 30 minutes. Taste the broth and add more salt and pepper or seasonings as needed.
- Serve with some crusty bread for dipping in the broth. My Keto Rolls would be delicious with this soup. Or try my Keto Corn Muffins.
Littleneck clams are preferred for their sweetness and not being as chewy as cherrystone or chowder clams. Clean the shells well, open with a clam knife and use the meat and liquid for the chowder. Just chop the clams and add them to the soup. Don't open the clams until ready to use, they will last in the refrigerator for 1-2 days if fresh. Food preservation has information about freezing clams.
You can cook a small or large batch on your stovetop instead of in the slow cooker. Just brown the bacon and onions. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat. Cut the vegetables into smaller diced pieces, about ½" cubes. Add them to the pot with tomatoes, spices, clam juice and broth. Bring to a boil. Let simmer on low-medium heat for about 15 minutes. Pierce one of the potatoes and carrot with a fork to see if they are tender. If still a little bit hard, cook another 5 minutes or so. Turn heat down to low, add in the clams and let soup simmer for another 30 minutes. Taste broth for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
Do you love soups? Be sure to try these hearty recipes:
Red Pepper, Sweet Potato and Sausage Soup
If you tried this recipe, I'd love if you come back and give it a 5 star rating. This tells me what recipes you enjoy and would like to see more of. Thank you!Print
Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours 30 minutes
- Total Time: 7 hours
- Yield: 16 servings 1x
- Category: Soup, Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
A hearty, chunky soup filled with vegetables, clams and a rich, flavorful broth. Perfect for dunking some crusty bread or rolls.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 4-5 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 cup of corn-fresh, can or frozen
- 2 32 oz. cartons of vegetable broth
- 3 large potatoes, chopped into medium sized dice
- 1 24 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 8 oz. bottles of clam juice
- 1 cup of shucked clams with the liquid. *
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 Bay leaves, salt & pepper to taste
- Fry bacon, drain, saving one tablespoon fat, let cool, crumble and set aside.
- Sauce the onion in bacon fat until lightly caramelized, about 4-5 minutes.
- Put all ingredients except clams into slow cooker.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours until vegetables are just about tender.
- Pour clams and their liquid into slow cooker and cook for another 30 -45 minutes until veggies are done and clams are cooked.
- Taste test broth for any additional spices.
*This slow cooker manhattan clam chowder recipe makes a large amount of soup. I like to freeze the leftovers for future meals. The ingredients can easily be cut in half to make a smaller batch. Just lower the time it takes to cook to about 3 - 4 hours.
*Instead of fresh or frozen clams you can use 3 or 4 6oz. cans of chopped clams.
*You can substitute the bacon with ham, pancetta, turkey bacon or sausage.
*Add a few drops of hot sauce or red pepper flakes if you want the chowder to be spicier.
** For a lower carb version, leave out the potatoes and corn. You can substitute some parsnips or turnips if you'd like.
Keywords: seafood, clam stew, savory soup
I love Manhattan clam chowder and this looks awesome!!!