I feel there are some meals or types of foods you make because a family member or friend really loves it. This Manhattan Clam Chowder that I made in my slow cooker is one of them.
I hate clams or any type of fish (except canned tuna), but my husband Jim loves ALL seafood. So every once in a while I put on my nice wife crown and make this soup that he adores.
We had leftover clams from a summer barbecue that we had frozen, so it was perfect to use for the soup. Fresh or frozen clams is preferred, but canned clams will do in a pinch. Or so I believe, I would never eat this stuff.
The ingredients in Manhatten Clam Chowder are:
- Vegetable broth
- Bottled clam juice
- Clams, fresh, frozen or canned
- Diced tomatoes
- Old Bay seasoning
- Salt, pepper, bay leaves
See this Manhattan Clam Chowder is actually a very flavorful, beautiful vegetable soup; just has those little shell-less sea creatures in it. Whatever....Jim loves this for lunch, dinner, anytime and I always make a huge batch because I really don't want to make it too often. He is in heaven and now he owes me a dinner out. We will go to a lovely restaurant and I will order chicken parmesan and he will order lobster or Blackened Tuna. I'm sure he'll have clams on the half shell as an appetizer and I will look the other way. 🙄
If you love soups, be sure to try these hearty recipes:Print
A hearty soup filled with vegetables, clams and a rich, flavorful broth. Perfect for dunking some crusty bread or rolls.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 4-5 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 cup of corn-fresh, can or frozen
- 2 32 oz. cartons of vegetable broth
- 3 large potatoes, chopped into large dice
- 1 24 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3-4 bottles of clam juice
- 1 cup of shucked clams with the liquid. Or 3 -4 cans of clams with the liquid.
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 Bay leaves, salt & pepper to taste
- Fry bacon, let cool, crumble and set aside.
- Sauce the onion in bacon fat until lightly caramelized, about 4-5 minutes.
- Put all ingredients except clams into slow cooker.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours until vegetables are just about tender.
- Pour clams and their liquid into slow cooker and cook for another 30 -45 minutes until veggies are done and clams are cooked.
- Taste test broth for any additional spices.
*This slow cooker manhattan clam chowder recipe makes a large amount of soup. I like to freeze the leftovers for future meals. The ingredients can easily be cut in half to make a smaller batch. Just lower the time it takes to cook.
** For a lower carb version, leave out the potatoes and corn. It won't affect the flavor of the soup, it just won't be as thick.
- Category: Soup, Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
Keywords: Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder