A hearty soup filled with vegetables, clams and a rich, flavorful broth. Perfect for dunking some crusty bread or rolls.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 4–5 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 cup of corn-fresh, can or frozen
- 2 32 oz. cartons of vegetable broth
- 3 large potatoes, chopped into large dice
- 1 24 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3–4 bottles of clam juice
- 1 cup of shucked clams with the liquid. Or 3 -4 cans of clams with the liquid.
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 Bay leaves, salt & pepper to taste
- Fry bacon, let cool, crumble and set aside.
- Sauce the onion in bacon fat until lightly caramelized, about 4-5 minutes.
- Put all ingredients except clams into slow cooker.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours until vegetables are just about tender.
- Pour clams and their liquid into slow cooker and cook for another 30 -45 minutes until veggies are done and clams are cooked.
- Taste test broth for any additional spices.
This slow cooker manhattan clam chowder recipe makes a large amount of soup. I like to freeze the leftovers for future meals. The ingredients can easily by cut in half to make a smaller batch. Just lower the time it takes to cook.
- Method: Slow Cooker
Keywords: Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder