This sausage chili is a quick and easy weeknight meal. It's a very hearty chili with Italian sausages, beans and veggies. You will love that it is easily adaptable to different choices of heat and spiciness.
What are the ingredients for this recipe?
- olive oil
- hot and/or sweet Italian sausages
- bell pepper
- canned diced tomatoes
- canned crushed tomatoes
- pink, kidney and black beans
- can chipotle peppers
- chipotle chili powder
- Italian seasoning
How to make sausage chili?
- Saute' the sausage in olive oil until browned and no longer pink. Set aside.
- Fry the onions and pepper in sausage drippings until softened.
- Stir in the chipotle pepper and seasonings.
- Pour in the tomatoes and beans and stir well.
- Put cooked sausage back into pot and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 45 minutes, or until heated through. Check the chili about halfway to make sure it's not burning on the bottom of the pot. If getting browned, you can add a ¼ to ½ cup of water and turn heat down to low-medium.
What toppings can I use?
- For this sausage chili, we added some chopped red onion, parsley and sour cream. But there are so many ways to top a chili. Try these:
- We do love parsley, but cilantro is a favorite topper as well.
- Shredded cheese; cheddar goes great with chili.
- Add extra spice with sliced jalapeños.
- Sliced or chopped avocado. It's mild and buttery flavor adds just the perfectly smooth texture to a spicy chili.
Some helpful tips and substitutions:
- I used a chipotle chili powder since it's smokey flavor complimented the chipotle peppers I added to the chili. You may prefer plain chili powder and that will work as well. Adding cayenne pepper will also add heat to the chili.
- You may want to change up the type of sausage you use in the chili. We prefer a combination of sweet and hot Italian sausage. Feel free to experiment. There are many different varieties that have very distinct flavors. The Premio website discusses many options.
- The chili should stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can freeze leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 months. Just defrost overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until hot.
Some other quick dinner recipes to try:Print
Try a big bowl of this hearty sausage chili. It has lots of flavor with Italian sausages, beans and vegetables. Make it spicy or mild, it's delicious either way!
- 1 TB. olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs. combination of hot and sweet Italian sausages, casings removed*
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained **
- 1 (16 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can pink beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 chipolte peppers, minced (from can w/adobo sauce)**
- 1 TB of chipotle sauce
- 1 green, yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ cup of water
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook the sausage until crumbled and browned throughout.
- Remove the sausage from pot and set aside. Saute' the onions and pepper in the sausage drippings until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in minced chipotle peppers and seasonings.
- Add the sausage back to pot. Pour in the beans and canned tomatoes to pot and stir well to combine.
- Taste chili and add more seasoning to taste.
- Cover pot and cook on medium heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ¼-1/2 cup water if bottom is browning or chili is too thick for your preference.
*If you prefer your chili with less spice, use all sweet Italian sausages. Instead of using link sausages, you may also prefer to use ground sausage from the grocery or butcher stores.
** For milder chili, scrape the seeds from the chipotle peppers and just use the chopped peppers.
** You can substitute fire roasted tomatoes for the regular diced tomatoes for a little more flavor and spice.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sausage Chili