Try a big bowl of this hearty sausage chili. It has lots of flavor with Italian sausages, beans and vegetables. Make it spicy or mild, it’s delicious either way!
- 1 TB. olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. combination of hot and sweet Italian sausages, casings removed*
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained **
- 1 (16 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can pink beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 chipolte peppers, minced (from can w/adobo sauce)**
- 1 TB of chipotle sauce
- 1 green, yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup of water
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook the sausage until crumbled and browned throughout.
- Remove the sausage from pot and set aside. Saute’ the onions and pepper in the sausage drippings until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in minced chipotle peppers and seasonings.
- Add the sausage back to pot. Pour in the beans and canned tomatoes to pot and stir well to combine.
- Taste chili and add more seasoning to taste.
- Cover pot and cook on medium heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/4-1/2 cup water if bottom is browning or chili is too thick for your preference.
*If you prefer your chili with less spice, use all sweet Italian sausages. Instead of using link sausages, you may also prefer to use ground sausage from the grocery or butcher stores.
** For milder chili, scrape the seeds from the chipotle peppers and just use the chopped peppers.
** You can substitute fire roasted tomatoes for the regular diced tomatoes for a little more flavor and spice.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sausage Chili