This keto chicken stir fry is a quick and easy weeknight meal. Filled with tender chicken, healthy vegetables and a low carb version of a rich, savory teriyaki sauce.
How to make the Stir Fry sauce?
Most stir fry sauces have some form of sweetener in them. And they are usually thickened with some type of starch. For our keto version, we always have to be creative with ingredients but never sacrifice the flavor!
- Beef broth- gives the sauce a richness and deepens the flavor
- Soy sauce- a traditional addition to most stir fries. It's very salty so we like to get the low sodium version if possible.
- Brown sugar Swerve- keto sweetener used in this low carb teriyaki sauce
- Cooking Sherry-this gives the sauce a bit of a tang and is not the same as Sherry that you would drink. You can substitute with rice wine vinegar.
- Red pepper & garlic- extra seasonings to increase flavor
- Oyster sauce- I feel this is what gives the sauce the extra boost in flavor. It is made from caramelized oyster juices, but does NOT taste fishy, with a bit of sugar, salt and seasonings. It does have some carbs, but we are only using a little bit, and it goes a long way in this recipe.
- Xanthan gum- this is needed to help thicken the sauce. Many stir fries are made with cornstarch or flour and this is a good low carb substitute.
How to make keto chicken stir fry?
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl and stir well to combine.
- Slice chicken into thin strips
- Cut the vegetables into strips that are uniform in size to insure even cooking.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok or a large fry pan on medium heat. Quickly saute' the chicken until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Remove chicken ands set aside.
- Add the other tablespoon of vegetable or canola oil and saute' the carrots, peppers and onion on medium-high heat for about 2 minutes. These are firmer vegetables and we want them to cook a bit before adding the softer vegetables. Add the peas and broccoli and continue to stir fry until they are cooked, but still a bit crisp, about an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to fry pan and pour sauce over. Bring to a low boil and simmer for 3 minutes until thickened.
What other vegetables can you put in the stir fry?
We love so many vegetables in our stir fry meals. And honestly the sauce is so good, I believe almost any vegetable would be great in a stir fry. Some of our favorites you can try:
- Broccoli/Cabbage Slaw
- Green/String Beans
- Water Chestnuts
- Bok Choy
We served our stir fry over cauliflower rice. You could also serve it over zoodles for a different texture in the meal.
Try these other delicious chicken dishes:Print
This keto chicken stir fry is a quick and easy weeknight meal. Filled with tender chicken, healthy vegetables and a low carb version of a savory, flavorful sauce. It is also perfect for meal prep since it freezes and reheats very well.
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless chicken breast, thinly sliced in strips
- ⅓ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 TBs cooking sherry *
- 3 - 4 TBs brown sugar substitute ( I used Swerve)
- ⅓ cup beef broth/stock
- 2 crushed garlic cloves or 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ginger
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. oyster sauce **
- 2 TB canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 carrot, peeled & sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeds removed, sliced
- 1 ½ cups snow peas
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut in small uniform pieces
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 TB sesame seeds, optional for garnish
- 2 TB chopped green onions, optional for garnish
- Combine all stir fry teriyaki sauce ingredients in a measuring cup and set aside. ( Taste sauce to see if it needs more soy sauce, spice or sweetener)***
- Heat 1 TB oil in a wok or large fry pan and quickly saute' the chicken strips until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat another TB. of oil, fry the peppers, onions and carrots about 2 minutes. Add the peas and broccoli and continue to fry until vegetables are cooked but still a bit crisp.
- Add chicken back to pan and pour sauce over all. Cover pan and bring to a low simmer. Stir and cook for 3 minutes until sauce is heated through.
- Serve over cauliflower rice or zoodles. Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
* Cooking sherry is not the same as drinking sherry. It can be substituted with a tablespoon or two of rice wine vinegar.
** Oyster sauce has it's own unique flavor and adds so much richness to the recipe. However, if you need to substitute for it, you can try adding a bit more soy sauce and brown sugar substitute. You can also add jarred hoisen or garlic sauce. But read the labels- some have a lot of sugar added.
***This sauce is very adaptable. You can add more seasoning if you'd like. Or if you want a bit saltier, add more soy sauce. Sweeter-add more sugar substitute. It's better to start with less, you can also add more.
Leftover stir fry can be stored in refrigerator for 3 days. It can also be frozen for two months in an airtight container. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight. Heat in microwave to serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Keto Chicken Stir Fry