This glazed coconut cake was an effort of love. Actually, my love of a really good pound cake and coconut anything!
I think you are either a coconut lover or not. And I'm sure each side can not fathom why you are or aren't. Well I am and have always been. Give me ALL the coconut.....cakes, cookies, donuts, candy. I remember when I became pregnant with my first child, one of my first thoughts after yea, gonna have a baby, was oh good now I can eat all the Mounds bars that I want! Well, of course I couldn't, but I wanted to.
I have a coconut pound cake recipe that I've used for years but wanted to try something new. A few test recipes did not turn out as I wanted so I continued my search. I found a butter cake that seemed perfect for converting to a coconut cake and it was!! It is now my favorite for Christmas baking and I am working on converting it to low carb. We'll see how that goes......
The ingredients are:
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda, powder, salt
- Sour Cream
- Pure Vanilla extract
- Coconut Extract
- Sweetened Coconut
The original recipe called for the cake to be baked in a large bundt pan. But because I was giving the cake as gifts, I wanted to use loaf pans. So it can be baked either way. I'm sure you can use even smaller pans, just be sure to revise the baking time.
The result is a very pretty and delicious cake. It takes a lot to become a favorite in my eyes and this one is!Print
Glazed Coconut Cake
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 - 60 minutes
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings 1x
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
A buttery and fluffy coconut cake with a delicious finish of a coconut glaze.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons coconut extract
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ butter
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½-¾ cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a large bundt pan or two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 8 minutes.
- In a separate bow, mix the flour, baking powder, soda and salt together.
- Add eggs one at a time to the batter, scraping bowl after each addition. Add sour cream, vanilla and coconut extracts. Mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients to batter alternating with the buttermilk. Mix together until smooth and creamy.
- Pour batter into prepared pan/pans.
- Bake for about 50 minutes for loaf pans, 60 minutes for bundt pan. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, prepare the glaze. Combine the ingredients and heat to melt but do not boil.
- Remove cake to cooling rack and poke several holes into top of cake. Pour half of the glaze over top.
- Let cake cool completely. Then loosen around edges of pan and invert cake onto platter. Rewarm the glaze and brush remaining glaze over cake. Sprinkle the coconut on top and lightly press down to help the coconut adhere to glaze.
Recipe adapted from Bob's Red Mill website
Keywords: Glazed Coconut Cake
Megan M. says
I loved this coconut cake when you sent us home with some. Super delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe.
Glad you loved it, it's one of my favorites too!