There are probably endless versions of hamburger/veggie/rice soup. It is not an overly imaginative recipe; basically hamburger, miscellaneous vegetables, broth and some type of starch such as rice or noodles made in a slow cooker.
However, I of course think our family's soup is the best since it is steeped in family traditions and filled with lovely memories. It began with my husband's grandmother who grew up during the Depression. She, like others her age, were quite adept at stretching every last bit of food. She was the queen of leftovers and from what I'm told could make a soup out of anything.
My husband loved to go fishing on his dad's boat, Hi-Jack, named after his father. Gramma would always make this hamburger veggie soup, namely Hi-Jack soup, and it was a well loved meal after a long day fishing. I began making this soup after I got married and it would be different everytime I made it. But instead of Gramma's leftovers of everything they'd eaten for the last week or so, I used fresh or frozen ingredients. Mine is very good, but not nearly as special as hers.
The ingredients for the hamburger vegetable soup are:
- Ground beef
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Brown rice
- Mixed vegetables-corn, carrots, string beans
- Red & green peppers
- Beef broth
- Brown gravy (dry mix in packet)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & Pepper, garlic
On this day, my hamburger vegetable soup was thrown together with a clean out the freezer mentality. That's what I truly love about it. You can use pretty much what you want.
This soup makes about 10 servings or so. I usually make enough for the freezer since Jim likes to take a hearty lunch to work in the winter. I haven't asked him in awhile, but I wonder if he thinks of his beloved Grandma when he eats this soup. I'm hoping he does and that is why I will continue to make this very simple but extraordinary hamburger vegetable soup.Print
An easy meal filled with ground beef, veggies and beef broth that you can put together quickly in a slow cooker. You will love all the leftovers that taste even better the next day.
- 1 ½ - 2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 1 24 oz. can of diced tomatoes, with the juice
- 48 oz beef broth
- 1 bag frozen red and green peppers
- 1 bag frozen onion
- 1 bag mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans)
- 1/ 2 of small packet of brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 - 2 teaspoons dried red pepper (optional)
- salt, pepper, minced garlic to taste
- Brown the ground beef and drain any fat.
- Pour all remaining ingredients into slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on high 3 -4 hours or on low 6 - 8 hours.
- Do a final taste taste for seasoning before serving.
- Serve with crusty bread for dunking.
This is a fairly large batch of soup and depending on your amount of family members, you will probably have leftovers. I think the soup needed a bit more broth the next day, as it absorbed quite a bit of liquid. You can reheat as is or freeze for future use. I have done both and the soup turns out great.
Keywords: Slow Cooker Hamburger Veggie Soup